Author Topic: who sells the best soft top?  (Read 4276 times)

marti

who sells the best soft top?
« on: January 01, 2007, 21:29:01 »
Happy New Year to all.  It's been a while since I've posted.  My car and I are doing great. I driver her everywhere and as often as I can. She is a little touchy in the cold and opening the trunk can test the pope's patience!  I drove her to Newport Beach over Christmas and got lots of stares and honks--yes..I've even got comfortable on California freeways...

Since I didn't get any diamonds, nor a new kitchen for Christmas..my goal for the next year is to replace the softop on my 63 230sl.  I have been reading up on the old posts but can't seem to narrow it down.  I have found some on E-bay, but I'm leary of going that route. If you purchased a soft top recently and are happy with the quality can you let me know where you purchased it from?  Is there anything I should know in advance when replacing the top on an older SL?  

Thanks

Marti
1963 230sl
560sl

Mpotter

Douglas

Re: who sells the best soft top?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 22:01:49 »
Hi Marti,

I think GAHH is a very popular choice. I've heard only good things about their product.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

mal

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 03:36:00 »
Hi,
I have used a  GAHH top on my blue pagoda and another make recommende by KK Manufacturing on the white /Gray one. The GAHH softtop is by far a better fit and much better quality

Malek Mrowa - Beirut, Lebanon.
280SL 71-Light Blue/Blue
280SL 68- White-Gray/Black
250SE 66 Convertible-Silver/Red
190SL 61-Ivory/Red
220S  58 Cabriolet-Two Tone: Burgandy&Creme/Tan

al_lieffring

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 08:33:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by marti
Is there anything I should know in advance when replacing the top on an older SL?  

Marti

The earliest 230sl have a different top frame and cover than later ones.
The early top is tacked to a wooden strip in the rear bow above the rear window and the seam is covered with a chrome strip.
On the later models the rear bow is all metal and the top is attached to the rear bow by gluing a fabric strip around the frame, and there is no chrome strip on the outside.

Al

66 230sl
113-042-10-014715
904/396 blue, Ivory Tex
condition: not-as-rusty-as-before-bucket

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 09:12:28 »
While shopping around, talk to:

Will Samples at S&S Imports
Gernold Nisius at SL Tech

They can sell you top material, and also tell you what's good and bad quality.

Contact info:
http://www.sl113.org/data/show_table.asp?table_name=usr_parts_and_service_suppliers

Don't forget that you might possibly have to recondition the top frame itself before (while) replacing the top fabric.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Markus

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 11:22:18 »
I just had an Electron Top installed in October that was purchased from Will at S&S Imports it is a superior top, fit, finish and quality.

Douglas

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 12:03:00 »
Actually, Gernold offers a pretty neat service -- if you ship him your soft top frame, he'll strip off the old cover, restore the frame mechanism and install a new cover. It can all be done long-distance.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

Tom Colitt

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 15:03:31 »
German Auto Tops Inc. in North Hollywood, CA is great. He supplies the interiors to many of these guys.

Tom
ClassicAutosLA

Tom Colitt

sjiatrou

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 20:41:50 »
I have a question about frame restoration/maintenance:  I asked a local restoration shop about replacing the top on my 1964 230sl and he recommends powdercoating the frame during the process.  Has anyone had this done (or heard of having it done) and what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks!
Steve

Steve Iatrou
Seaside, CA
1964 230sl roadster
White (050)/Black (116)