Author Topic: Glasurit v. PPG Paint  (Read 11750 times)

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Mill Valley, California
Glasurit v. PPG Paint
« on: January 09, 2007, 14:22:05 »
Hello All,

I'm in the initial stages of restoring my recently acquired '71 280SL, rust-free, accident-free, blue plate, pink slip California car, all matching numbers.  I'm having the entire car professionally stripped and repainted in it's factory color Arabian Grey (DB 124). I wanted to get member's input on the expensive Glasurit paint v. PPG.  I'm told that the non-metallic colors are very easy to match if you go the less expensive PPG route.  If I'm going to the expense of having the car professionally repainted, is it worth spending the extra $$$ for Glasurit paint?  Will I end up with a better finish than if I went with PPG-matched paint?
1971 280SL
Arabian Gray / Dark Red Leather

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Coupe
Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC
Arctic White on Almond Beige
Wife's car that I get to drive

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Glasurit v. PPG Paint
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 16:40:31 »
Hello Nate,

As one who had his car repainted with color change, using Glasurit paint, I can say its remarkable stuff.  However, I'm also as convinced that the quality of application and finishing is as important as who makes the paint.  You can waste your money on Glasurit if it isn't done right, and you can get astounding results with PPG if done correctly with all the right pre-prep and after-spray finishing.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 19:05:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by nate

Hello All,

I'm in the initial stages of restoring my recently acquired '71 280SL, rust-free, accident-free, blue plate, pink slip California car, all matching numbers.  I'm having the entire car professionally stripped and repainted in it's factory color Arabian Grey (DB 124).
Regardless of what you choose, I'd love to see it when done.  I have a 124G car (158H hard top) with tired old paint and would like to see it as it should be.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

George Des

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 19:44:59 »
See Len Stuart's Autobody website for the low down on paints. Len is a big proponent of Glasurit but I think even he would admit that high end PPG Concept, R&M, Sikkens, etc can also produce durable, quality results when properly applied, color sanded, and polished.

George Des

paults1

• Senior
  • USA, FL, The Villages
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 20:04:21 »
I had my '63 230SL painted with R-M Limco 2 paint in the DB124 Arab Gray original color. I know R-M has the formula for the color. BASF is the distributor for the R-M products. I believe BASF is also connected with the Glasurit products, hence the correct color formula.

George Des

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 20:51:22 »
This is Len Stuart's website for those interested.

http://www.autobodystore.com/

George Des

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Mill Valley, California
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 11:36:55 »
If the stars are in alignment, the restoration work should be completed by the end of April.  I will gladly share pictures of her once she's back from the "day spa"...
1971 280SL
Arabian Gray / Dark Red Leather

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Coupe
Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC
Arctic White on Almond Beige
Wife's car that I get to drive

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 02:53:40 »
Just a though. Your talking about a single stage color right? Unless you can get the older style enamels is not a clear coat going to be part of the paint job? that  changes the way it looks doesn't it? Sorry for throughing in that wrench to the mix.

Bob Geco

George Des

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 05:54:20 »
Bob,

I know PPG Concept Single Stage, an acrylic urethane, can be cross referenced with the older DB synthetic enamels used on the MBs. I assume some of the other brands can be as well. Concept can be color sanded and left with enough orange peel in the final finish that it comes pretty close to the original look. Some of the two stage finishes I've seen just look too "wet", but this may also be a function of the final sanding and polishing work as well.

George Des