Author Topic: Only my brights are working  (Read 4273 times)

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
Only my brights are working
« on: October 05, 2008, 19:13:05 »
Maybe someone can give me some tips on troubleshooting this one. As of today, just my high beams are functional. Turning the headlight switch on results in no light unless the high beams are switched on.
(I have my high beam switch rigged to the combination stalk, but I did this months ago and it has been fine).
Thanks!
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

jeffc280sl

Re: Only my brights are working
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 07:36:14 »
Andy,

Try spinning the low beam fuse in place so that it makes better contact with the fuse holder.

al_lieffring

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 14:17:54 »
Andy

Since I don't know what modification you made to move the dimmer switch from the floor up to the combi stalk on the column, there realy isn't much I can point to as a possible problem, other than saying from my experience, first you should undo the modification and see if it works as original. Most of the time it will.

The high beam switch on the stalk controll is a momentary contact and would need some sort of latching relay to hold on the high beams, I have seen SL's that used a relay from a VW Rabbit (yes it was a long time ago) to use the flash to pass switch as the hi/lo beam controll.

It doesn't seem likely to be a fuse problem, because the low beams have seperate fuses for the left and right.

Al

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 15:14:55 »
Al & Jeff,
Taking your advice, I backtracked the modification and found an imperfect contact that I had created at the footswitch. The modification required that I add a wire to one of the contacts there, and it was a little crowded at that terminal. I have improved the layout and it's now working fine.
Thanks for your time and concern.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo