Author Topic: New Carpet/floor mats  (Read 9569 times)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
New Carpet/floor mats
« on: October 29, 2006, 02:39:53 »
Hi,

I have just purchased this car (and have attempted to attach a photo so you can see the exterior and interior) am thinking about replacing the interior carpet on my car with something a little more uplifting (not a huge fan of grey). The car is in the US - unlike me - and I am keen to get the carpets shipped with the car to save money. I wondered whether anyone had an idea of colour combinatinons that might work with this exterior. I also NEED to replace the hood,as it is in a bad way. Again, does anyone have an idea of a colour combination (exterior, interior carpets and hood) that might work with a car this colour? I've crawled over the photo pages and cannot find a car this colour (which doesn't surprise me, actually). Perhaps one day I will repaint it and so I favour a lighter coloured hood, perhaps tan? I was thinking of a tan interior, but thought I'd just ask the experts. Finally, assuming anyone feels like me that grey is a little depressing for the interior, could anyone recommend a purveyor of interior carpets from whom I could purchase said stuff - without breaking the bank please!

Subsequent edit of the e-mail on discovering that I cannot attach a photo: the car is light blue, with a dark blue hood and dark blue interior (sorry - don't know the codes). If anyone else can attach the 3 photos in order to make this link worth reading, I'll forward them immediately!

Newbies! Jeeez.

Thank you in advance,

James

« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 02:48:58 by jameshoward »
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

mulrik

Re: New Carpet/floor mats
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 03:47:56 »
James you live in Germany and there is absolutely no reason to have teh carpet set sent from the US! I bought a complete new set of carpets from SLS in Hamburg and they were perfect. Remember to buy new sound insulation now that your at it. Installt he carpets with double sticking tape. It's easy to work with and reversible if you make an error. You can get a datacard from Mercedes in Stuttgart which will tell you what ex and int colors your car was originally delivered with. They'll need a proof of ownership and the VIN number

http://www.sls-hh.de/start/index.html

'67 250 SL Papyrus White 113043-10-000023

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 05:24:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by mulrik

Remember to buy new sound insulation now that your at it.

Mulrik,

Many thanks - didn't think of that. You mentioned buying new sound installation to install at the same time. Can you please tell me what you mean/which product I require and where it goes? (Told you I was new to this!)

Thanks again,

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

nick350

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 14:44:24 »

Somewhere on this forum ( Im sure other members will know where) there is a photo of a cresent of parked pagodas that show a rainbow of car/hood combo, like a green car with a red soft top etc. Worth finding and remembering that its your car, you can have whatever you want. Keen to find UK source of mats too.

quote:
Originally posted by jameshoward

Hi,

I have just purchased this car (and have attempted to attach a photo so you can see the exterior and interior) am thinking about replacing the interior carpet on my car with something a little more uplifting (not a huge fan of grey). The car is in the US - unlike me - and I am keen to get the carpets shipped with the car to save money. I wondered whether anyone had an idea of colour combinatinons that might work with this exterior. I also NEED to replace the hood,as it is in a bad way. Again, does anyone have an idea of a colour combination (exterior, interior carpets and hood) that might work with a car this colour? I've crawled over the photo pages and cannot find a car this colour (which doesn't surprise me, actually). Perhaps one day I will repaint it and so I favour a lighter coloured hood, perhaps tan? I was thinking of a tan interior, but thought I'd just ask the experts. Finally, assuming anyone feels like me that grey is a little depressing for the interior, could anyone recommend a purveyor of interior carpets from whom I could purchase said stuff - without breaking the bank please!

Subsequent edit of the e-mail on discovering that I cannot attach a photo: the car is light blue, with a dark blue hood and dark blue interior (sorry - don't know the codes). If anyone else can attach the 3 photos in order to make this link worth reading, I'll forward them immediately!

Newbies! Jeeez.

Thank you in advance,

James

dreyer635

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 15:17:46 »
Light blue and dark blue interior? Like mine?
Whatever you deside; bear in mind that replaceing the interior color is a "big" job - it's not only the seats and carpet - but everything inside the car as well - I would not recomend it unless it looks like trach and you are planning a total renewal.
 My car colour is a light blue metalic - It was horizon blue orginaly with blue hood and interior.

Regards
Kjell  - Norway
280 SL

Download Attachment: pagode-litenjpg.jpg
56.57 KB
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 15:18:24 by dreyer635 »

tuultyme

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 18:58:42 »
When I replaced my carpet a few years ago I put down Dynamat Extreme over the entire floor and cross members, followed by silver backed insulation under the floor mats.  Most of the carpeting is glued down.  For the tunnel carpet I placed a couple strips of velcro on each side of the shifter to make it easy to remove if I ever need to get to the transmission access panels.  Tne driver and passenger carpets have snapes that hold them in place.  Finally with contrasting thick floor mats the floors stay cool and quiet.

Bruce; 268Blaugrun(green) 1970 280SL; IL

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 20:12:05 »
quote:
...  could anyone recommend a purveyor of interior carpets from whom I could purchase said stuff - without breaking the bank please!

James,
if you have the time I'd suggest that you drive south from Hamburg to Calw (near Stuttgart) and take a look at the different carpet samples that Mrs. Werner installs (see: http://www.werner-interieur.de/html/englisch.html).
I bought my set from her and I am very happy with the quality and the way everything was precut. I selecetd a type of beige - with a little grey in it - since my car is also light blue.
There is quite a difference in carpet quality and in addition it depends whether you like a carpet with many knobs or fewer. There are some pictures in this topic showing the difference in knobs/square inch - the fewer the less expensive is the carpet:
http://sl113.com/forums/index.php?topic=4824
Since the carpet set goes to the USA you can also save quite a bit on VAT - send me an email and I'll explain how.

Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 20:15:03 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 09:29:18 »
quote:

.... on discovering that I cannot attach a photo ....
James,

Check this thread, and the link at the end of it also:
http://index.php?topic=12

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 10:56:38 »
OK,

Thanks for the advice on posting photographs; so either my photos will appear here...or they won't. If they don't, what you're not seeing is my car with a roof that needs replacing, in a colour I'm not entirely sure about, and an interior that is a little short of uplifting. (There are also many positives...) I have also thrown in one of the engine, as it needs a firewall pad.

Thanks very much for your posts and advice. I will definately go down the German route for the upholstery. I have looked at SLS, and Mrs Werner (which looks like a really smart outfit). I just need to find someone in my area to look the car over to ensure it's safe before I start to execute all my wild plans for fixing it up, like finding someone who is good at putting on a new roof.

Fingers crossed.

James.

http://www.sl113.com/forums/uploaded/jameshoward/20061030114744_91_12.jpg

http://www.sl113.com/forums/uploaded/jameshoward/2006103011498_d6_12.jpg

http://www.sl113.com/forums/uploaded/jameshoward/20061030115022_db_3.jpg

http://www.sl113.com/forums/uploaded/jameshoward/20061030115326_44_12.jpg
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 00:45:30 by jameshoward »
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 15:47:45 »
quote:

Thanks for the advice on posting photographs; so either my photos will appear here...or they won't.
It looks like they tried to post.  Did you edit the post after attaching the pics?  Looks like you're 1/2 way there.....

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 16:48:13 »
>> It looks like they tried to post.

The photos are there.  I was able to view them by prepending "http://www.sl113.com/forums/" in from of each link in James' post.

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 17:04:17 »
Hi James. (I feel like I am writing myself an email...)

To answer your question of what goes with light blue: I'd say that in the squareweave carpet, I'd go with blue or light tan or dark tan. With the hood (I am guessing "ya all mean" soft-top?), I'd say blue, tan, or black. If you think you might paint the car another color -- which might it be? If its a shade of blue or white or a silver, I'd stay with blue carpet & blue top. If you are thinking of brown or gold or green, I'd go with tan carpet & tan or black top. If you are contemplating red (who doesn't?) -- you'll probably need to redo entire thing (although I think I have see a red car with blue interior before...) A little too Union Jack for my taste.

James
63 230SL
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 17:06:04 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

enochbell

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 17:38:28 »
James,

Just got to view the pics of your new ride, there is a lot there that looks good.  Original headlights, rear and side view mirrors, dash details look like this car has had a good life so far.  As far as the improvements you are looking to make, may I suggest you live and drive with her for a month or so to get a real sense for what you like and need?  You may find the original color comnbinations grow on you or you may choose a completely different scheme.  But give it some time, it looks like you have found a nice ride.

Best,
g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 01:04:27 »
Whilst not quite an Oscar Speech here goes:

David - thank you for the advice on making the 'photos viewable. I have edited the link as you suggested and it seems to work.

Greg - again, thanks for going to the hassle of taking a look. I confess I breathed a sigh of relief when I got your mail. I haven't seen the car (it's a geography thing: car in US, me in Iraq but based in Germany) and all I based the purchase on was a long, long love of these and the fact that it was there, for sale. So I bought it, then read the threads about buying a car unseen and now have sleepless nights!) I intend to have it looked at when it comes off the ship in Bremerhaven and I'll let you know what 'they' find. (Perhaps I should keep the site updated on how the process goes of buying a car on a whim, shipping it from the US, via Baltimore, to Bremerhaven, then to my base, and from there, who knows - it might be interesting should anyone else decide to do something this silly).

James - for the advice on tops (hoods/soft tops) - very useful. (Except the bit about red - Never liked red cars). And how could anything POSSIBLY been 'too Union Jack-ish?' I was thinking of putting an Mini Cooper S 'Italian Job' style Union flag on the hard top - but I don't have one. (Kidding, honest).

I've just had some more photos through, so I'm going to try to post them getting it right first time. (One appears to show a worrying hole in the sill)

James

http://www.sl113.com/forums/uploaded/jameshoward/2006103115936_sill.jpg

http://www.sl113.com/forums/uploaded/jameshoward/200610312047_front.jpg

http://www.sl113.com/forums/uploaded/jameshoward/200610312121_trunk.jpg

http://www.sl113.com/forums/uploaded/jameshoward/200610312146_under.jpg

James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

France

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 01:19:13 »
James,

I assume your car will be experiencing wonderful mittel Europe weather.  It might be a good idea, once you repair whatever is behind that worrysome hole, to pump as much Waxoyl as you can into every crevice.  We've done this with all our European cars before putting them up for winter.  

See the previous posts on this forum on what people like to use for this purpose; we think Waxoyl is tops, and it's easy to get.

I also agree with what g says below--let the car settle around you before you make any decisions--she looks just fine, and you will have many years together to put things right.  One wonderful thing about these cars is how much work you can do yourself.

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Sarasota FL; Alsace France; Switzerland
You only need 2 tools in life: WD40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 01:22:40 by France »
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

Eryck

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 21:01:31 »
Happy new year everyone.  It's apparent that someone has dealt with Mrs. Werner before so I am a bit puzzled.

I sent 4-5 emails to them.  First in English and because of the lack of response, I had someone translate it for me into German.  Still no luck.  I called and the lady on the phone simply said "no English".  My last email to them was just two weeks ago.  I also faxed my email to them.  And still no response....

I would like to buy a carpet set as well as the third seat from them.  What to do?

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 07:10:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by Eryck

Happy new year everyone.  It's apparent that someone has dealt with Mrs. Werner before so I am a bit puzzled.

I sent 4-5 emails to them.  First in English and because of the lack of response, I had someone translate it for me into German.  Still no luck.  I called and the lady on the phone simply said "no English".  My last email to them was just two weeks ago.  I also faxed my email to them.  And still no response....

I would like to buy a carpet set as well as the third seat from them.  What to do?

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

Eryck,

Choose another vendor.  There are quite a few making interiors, carpets, etc, many that speak English and respond to you.

When I redid my car, I generally only dealt with those interested in the business.  Don't fight to get a quote, it isn't worth your time.  Imagine what would happen if they shipped the wrong stuff or nothing at all!  Deal with people only who will communicate.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid
2024 Ford Mustang Mach Ex PEV

KevinC

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 20:44:30 »
Eryck,

This is THE BEST advice anywhere...

"Don't fight to get a quote, it isn't worth your time.  Imagine what would happen if they shipped the wrong stuff or nothing at all!  Deal with people only who will communicate.

Michael Salemi"

I just had a great experience using GAHH in California. They made up a seat kit for my car from their Porsche color catalog to get a match to the rest my interior (may 230 SL colors are no longer available). They added embossing and charged me nothing additional for the custom order! From order to recepit was about 2.5 weeks during the holidays. A great experience.

Kevin Caputo
Boca Raton, FL
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex
2007 Lava Gray Audi Q7

Eryck

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 08:35:50 »
Thanks, Kevin and Michael, for the good advice.  Will check out GAHH.

1965 230 SL White Manual
Hong Kong

sjiatrou

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2007, 19:52:15 »
Bruce:
I noticed in your post that you replaced the sound insulation under your carpet, I am getting ready to replace my carpeting and will replace the insulation as well.  Did you pull up the original soundproofing that is adhered to the footwells?  If so, how did you accomplish this?  

Thanks,
Steve

quote:
Originally posted by tuultyme

When I replaced my carpet a few years ago I put down Dynamat Extreme over the entire floor and cross members, followed by silver backed insulation under the floor mats.  Most of the carpeting is glued down.  For the tunnel carpet I placed a couple strips of velcro on each side of the shifter to make it easy to remove if I ever need to get to the transmission access panels.  Tne driver and passenger carpets have snapes that hold them in place.  Finally with contrasting thick floor mats the floors stay cool and quiet.

Steve Iatrou
Seaside, CA
1964 230sl roadster
White (050)/Black (116)

jsaylor

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2007, 22:29:48 »
Steve,

I replaced w/ Dynamat.  Pulling old fiber/tar matting %$# was not fun.  The passenger side was fully melted to the floor.  I spent hours w/ an angle grinder with heavy wire cup brush.  Some areas pulled away with litte effort, others not so.  As I'm not making a show car a few places stayed pure tar and were painted over w/ PPG epoxy primer.  Dynamat is self stick and may be heated w/ heat gun to better form to tight curves.  
Now I'm looking for proper carpet pads.

Jim Saylor
Kauai, Hawaii
'65 230SL

tuultyme

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 21:02:19 »
I only removed the original material in the area where I needed some rust area repaired.  It was just too difficult in the other areas.