Author Topic: Kinder seat installation  (Read 3213 times)

Kenneth Gear

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Fairfax Station
Kinder seat installation
« on: February 02, 2007, 19:41:35 »
Is a kinder seat easy to install?  Does it simply bolt in if the car was not originally equipped with one or are modifications needed?

Ken G
1971 280 SL
Silver/red
Ken G
1971 280 SL Silver/red

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Kinder seat installation
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 20:45:52 »
I think the "foot well" was carpeted.  Normally, this is under the left shelf and bare metal.  I can't speak to the seat itself, I've never removed/installed one.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Douglas

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 21:21:52 »
It's a bolt-in, but there's some drilling involved in securing the backrest to the car. I've never done it, but I know someone who was upset at the quality of the installation of a retrofitted kinder seat. If you've got another car to follow, then it should be a piece of cake.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 19:53:33 »
The knider seat is to be inserted with the bottom in place first.  Then place the bottom of the back portion to rest comfortably on the bottom piece.  Then tilt towards the metal sidewall with the carpet, keeping the wrap around on the front side(towards front) close to the corner.
Try to estimate very closely where the bolt hits the carpet and mark it(put a small glob of grease on the bolt tip).  Remove the seat back part and drill a hole a little below the mark(grease stain) on the carpet.  Be slow with drilling as you don't want to snag the carpet loops and pull them around the drill bit.
Then once you get a hole punched through, thread the bolt and then put a big flat washer and a 10mm nut or wingnut on the inside of the soft top compartment.
Think this is all??  There is a small irregular trapezoidal plywood piece that makes the floor opposite the seat with carpet on top.
Hope this helps.
Walter
1967 220SL-diesel