Author Topic: great new tool  (Read 3403 times)

seattle_Jerry

great new tool
« on: April 01, 2007, 21:05:54 »
I was at sears and happened across a great tool that I am beating myself up for not inventing.

It is a socket with a knurled ring around it that is the diameter of a screwdriver handle. The whole thing is less than an inch tall and it takes any bit that fits in a multi-tip screwdriver.

I just took off all the screws that hold the dash on without taking out the windshield to give you an idea of the close quarters it works in. I also used it to take off the blue plastic nuts that hold on the wood trim.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Mechanics+Tools&pid=00943401000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Socket+Accessories&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

1967 230SL Havana Brown Auto with A/C

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: great new tool
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 10:43:55 »
Jerry,

This is one of those peculiar tools that looks silly, but when you need it, NOTHING else will do AND you'd gladly pay 10 times the amount for the time and trouble it saves you.

Note that often these are on sale at Sears in the sale bins they have in the hardware department; they can also be had from Harbor Freight and probably some other tools stores as well.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 16:02:23 »
Jerry ... I bought that tool on an impulse; what the heck, it looked useful.  I am still sure that it is useful, I just need to find the place where it is useful.  

You never have too many tools; there will be a time that it will be needed.

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor, MGB 5-Speed
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 19:25:46 »
Jerry.
thanks for the great recommenation I know how difficult it is to get to some of the tight screws on my cars. I going to sears to buy my self a set. Iam going to name them jerry's favirot tool.

Bob Geco

seattle_Jerry

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 04:01:01 »
I think this one is up there with my "easy-out" bits for getting out stripped phillips head screws. Oh and the goofy looking safety glasses with the lights for illuminating your work...it beats the flashlight between the teeth method.

1967 230SL Havana Brown Auto with A/C

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 13:09:04 »
Well. I got back from Sears this morning hiped about this new tool finger grip socket adapters, I also added 41390 finger bit driver pack and a ginsu cooking knife set with a coupe of entersting tools to get the pits out of your tomotos and a jucier socket to squeeze the fresh juice from oranges and a special tool to peal oranges  and so on.  Don't you hate it. Pretty young women and fine cars suck me in every time. Well time for a new Barbecue. At lease my wife cann't say I am a tool hound and my mistress has four tires.

Bob Geco
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 13:32:45 by Bob G »