Author Topic: Correct Carpet Trim  (Read 5615 times)

sjiatrou

Correct Carpet Trim
« on: February 08, 2007, 00:55:05 »
I have questions regarding the carpeting in my early 64 230sl (001515). I am the second owner of this car and am pretty sure the carpeting is original.  At issue is the carpeting in the rear area: the back panel and the wood decks.   I have two questions:

1.  Does anyone know when the short back panel changed to a wide back panel?
2.  Can anyone confirm that the original deck carpets were finished on the bottom of the facing part (see photo: rearlid.jpg)  

This picture shows my original carpet still on the deck with the finished edges and the new carpet I received from a reputable manufacturer with unfinished front edging.  Which is what raised the issue with me.  When I contacted the manufacturer about the discrepancy I was told that my carpet must not be original because all 230sl deck carpeting came unfinished on the front edge and was tucked under the wood frame (which mine obviously is not.)   Also, I was told that my car might be Euro because the rear panel carpet is supposed to wrap around the entire back compartment (but my car was delivered to the US (according to the data card and is certainly not Euro.) The manufacturer has agreed to finish the edges and to re-cut the rear panel to match my "originals" but it left me curious:

Did anyone else's 230sl come with the shorter rear panel (with finished edges) and finished edges all around the deck carpeting?

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks!
Steve

Download Attachment: rearlid.JPG
83.12 KB

Steve Iatrou
Seaside, CA
1964 230sl roadster
White (050)/Black (116)

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
Re: Correct Carpet Trim
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 03:39:53 »
Here's an original carpeted parcel shelf from '66. It has the vinyl trim all round but it's tucked under at the front and is not visible when installed.
Don't know what you mean by short or wide back panel. Can you post a photo of that too?

Download Attachment: front.jpg
73.43 KB

Download Attachment: underside.jpg
37.46 KB

DaveB
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 13:22:24 »
I just had a look at mine (replacement squareweave from Miller's). The carpet is wrapped and neatly glued underneath but with no hem on that edge. All visible edges have the vinyl trim.

BTW, everytime I remove the parcel shelf, I see that handle thing that looks like it should be to a storage box of some sort -- then I fade off momentarily into fantasyland that inside is my toolkit... I kid you not.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

sjiatrou

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 23:44:00 »
Thanks James and DaveB.

Here's a picture of the back panel (this is not my car but one that is on ebay, the back panel is the same though.  I can send you a picture of my panel if you'd like, I photographed the car with a 3M resolution camera and then removed the carpet.  I can't get the picture small enough for this forum.) This is what I meant by the shorter panel; it stops well before the top release lever and it is edge finished all around. To give credit where credit is due, this picture is from a 230sl posted on eBay.

I'll post some pictures of the finished product when I get the finished pieces back.

(As I removed all the pieces from my interior I kept hoping the radio delete plate would reveal its hiding place, alas...no such luck, all I found were some old trading stamps and a few pennies and nickels.)

Thanks again for the replies,

Steve
quote:
Originally posted by DaveB

Here's an original carpeted parcel shelf from '66. It has the vinyl trim all round but it's tucked under at the front and is not visible when installed.
Don't know what you mean by short or wide back panel. Can you post a photo of that too?

Download Attachment: front.jpg
73.43 KB

Download Attachment: underside.jpg
37.46 KB

DaveB

Download Attachment: rear1.jpg
51.49 KB

Steve Iatrou
Seaside, CA
1964 230sl roadster
White (050)/Black (116)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 10:10:18 »
Steve,
on my (late) 230SL the carpet wraps around much further than the one on the eBay car.  It apears that the owner of that car put  a speaker into the side panel. The attached picture shows what's behind the carpet under the soft top release on my car.  
My original carpet also has the complete vinyl border and it was tucked under the wood box just like Dave's.
{Re: your problem posting large pictures. I found it convenient to import them into Powerpoint, add a comment if necessary, and then save it again as a jpg file at the resolution/size I want}

Download Attachment: RearPanel.jpg
74.18 KB

Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 22:34:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by 66andBlue

{Re: your problem posting large pictures. I found it convenient to import them into Powerpoint, add a comment if necessary, and then save it again as a jpg file at the resolution/size I want}
Or, if you have the pictures on a web site, you can post them this way:
http://www.sl113.org/forums/faq.asp#GetForum

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 22:36:27 »
Steve,

Is your "original" carpet even square weave material?  It's hard to tell because it's multi-colored.  I guess square weave came multi-colored, but I've not seen it in person.  But then again, there's a lot I've not seen in person!  :D

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1994 E420
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon

sjiatrou

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 01:20:40 »
Alfred:
Thanks for the ppt tip.  I've loaded the picture here, hopefully it gives some perspective of the rear area.  I've removed the side panels and the metal is clean and white (no evidence of carpeting ever having been glued under the panel.) I've also posted a picture of the rear area with the panel and carpet removed, you can see where the carpet gluing ends where the panel begins.  Oh, this is a squareweave carpet.

Thanks for the comments.

Steve
quote:
Originally posted by 66andBlue

Steve,
on my (late) 230SL the carpet wraps around much further than the one on the eBay car.  It apears that the owner of that car put  a speaker into the side panel. The attached picture shows what's behind the carpet under the soft top release on my car.  
My original carpet also has the complete vinyl border and it was tucked under the wood box just like Dave's.

Download Attachment: RearPanel.jpg
74.18 KB

Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic

Download Attachment: rearpanel-sji.jpg
81.7 KB

Steve Iatrou
Seaside, CA
1964 230sl roadster
White (050)/Black (116)

Download Attachment: rearnocarpet.jpg
74.07 KB
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 02:01:39 by sjiatrou »

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 10:04:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by sjiatrou

It will be interesting to see if anyone has seen vinyl on the sides of the storage area before. I haven't, but I've only been looking at Pagodas for about 7 years now, not 20+ years like some of our members.
quote:
2.  Can anyone confirm that the original deck carpets were finished on the bottom of the facing part.
83.12 KB
It appears others have confirmed that they have finished trim tucked under the deck lid (parcel shelf lid).  My question is:  Since your forum topic is "correct carpet trim", are you also concerned with correct carpet in material?  Read this thread and see if you have the carpet colors mentioned.
http://index.php?topic=4321

Thanks,

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1994 E420
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon

sjiatrou

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 13:03:09 »
Rodd:

Thanks for the link.  I believe that was the thread that made me realize I would never find a color to match what was in my car:

If you have a 230 before serial 012467 and still have the original two-tone black and white (= light grey) square weave carpet with rubber mats in the footwell areas, just forget it! This carpet is nowhere available in the world (sick!) It was replaced in August 1965 when the new W108 sedan was introduced with the all-black or charcoal-colored square weave carpet. That latter material is still available today in different qualities. GAHH in North Hollywood, CA or other well-known companies can deliver that to you.

END QUOTE

I am going with a dark grey square weave with black finishing trim carpet to maintain the Spirit of the original interior (i.e., the floor offering a contrast to the pure black seats, dash, etc.)

I've posted another picture showing the original center console carpet with finished tray bracket openings, was this standard on the factory carpets?

quote:
Originally posted by rwmastel

quote:
Originally posted by sjiatrou

It will be interesting to see if anyone has seen vinyl on the sides of the storage area before. I haven't, but I've only been looking at Pagodas for about 7 years now, not 20+ years like some of our members.
quote:
2.  Can anyone confirm that the original deck carpets were finished on the bottom of the facing part.
83.12 KB
It appears others have confirmed that they have finished trim tucked under the deck lid (parcel shelf lid).  My question is:  Since your forum topic is "correct carpet trim", are you also concerned with correct carpet in material?  Read this thread and see if you have the carpet colors mentioned.
http://index.php?topic=4321

Thanks,

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1994 E420

Download Attachment: ConsoleOld.jpg
84.22 KB

Steve Iatrou
Seaside, CA
1964 230sl roadster
White (050)/Black (116)