Author Topic: A wrinkle in my day...  (Read 4305 times)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
A wrinkle in my day...
« on: February 11, 2007, 13:16:07 »
So I decided to spend this rainy Sunday hooking up the ol' Ipod to my Becker. I was successful -- I can now listen to the Ipod simply by plugging it into the Ipod cable...

Now, talk about one step forward and two steps back. While I was inside the dash, I decided to inspect things. I carefully slid my heater levers (as I always do) -- checking the cable connections. They all moved fine. Then, it happened... Suddenly my right side heater assembly got all loose and floppy. What happened was, there is a plastic cannister that the levers rotate around. It houses the light bulb. One of the screws holding it together gave out. So now my dash looks like this...

Download Attachment: dash1.JPG
72.17 KB

Here is the culprit. I do not think this is a part that would be sold separately from the assembly. Unless I can find a used one (anybody???), I think I will have to somehow glue it.

Download Attachment: heater1.jpg
37.05 KB

I now have pretty good access to the area and can dry fit it back in place. However, to really work on it I think my speaker grill needs to go. I have no speaker there or even a screen. So dropping a hand in from up there would be wonderful. Question: can the grill be removed without taking off the long wood trim? I looked around for screws or pins -- not seeing them from my angle.

Thanks for listening. Now where's my beer...[:0]

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

jeffc280sl

Re: A wrinkle in my day...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 13:35:16 »
James,

The speaker grill can be removed without taking out the loger wood dash pieces.  You may need to loosen the two center nuts on the dash wood pieces if the wood and speaker grill are wedged tightly.

Congrats on the Ipod install.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 14:08:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber
Here is the culprit. I do not think this is a part that would be sold separately from the assembly. Unless I can find a used one (anybody???), I think I will have to somehow glue it.

James,
if you have all the pieces you should be able to glue them together again with epoxy glue. Otherwise you can try Jim Saylor's method and use thermo plastic. See: http://index.php?topic=4555
I wonder whether the "jeweler in Baltimore" who repairs these things is still in business? See: http://index.php?topic=1175

Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

hwahaus

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 14:33:47 »
Miller's has the cannister.  I just installed one going through the speaker.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 15:17:19 »
All good input. Thanks.

Hwahaus, I'd love some more detail on what you bought from Miller's... The clear part, or the adjoining black cap section. That's the broken piece.

Alfred, I think gluing is an option if I don't find a replacement. The clear part of the tube sets inside the black cap -- I may be able to glue it around the edge (versus trying to remake the screw recepticle)...

Jeff, thanks for your input on the Ipod. I decided to not splice yet. Radio Shack (only place in town) says the 5 connector wire is hard to find (here) -- I could try Sacramento. So I decided for now to just run cable out the back -- and using doublesided tape, mount the cable box under the dash. With a one foot audio cable, I can hold the Ipod easily enough.

In any case, that grille is coming off... Offer still stands for help finding used parts. Anyone who might have an old assembly laying around...

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 17:35:57 »
Hello James,

These parts are acrylic and several types of glue will work fine. Try a hobby shop where you can get a variety of glues for acrylic or MEK solvent which will bond the plastic without making a mess.  These plastics degrade and become brittle from UV rays and age. Fortunately this cylinder is the same on era Mercedes W108 sedans. There should be some good used ones out there.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

jeffc280sl

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 17:51:24 »
James,

If 6 conductor wire is available use that and just don't use one of the colors.

Jeff

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

sjiatrou

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 18:50:26 »
James:
The grill probably has pins.  I've attached pictures of my grill (w/pins).  As you know my chassis rolled off the line a few months after yours so yours probably looks the same.  I was able to remove and reinstall the grill without removing or loosening the bows.  To do this I used a small standard screwdriver and gently wedged it under the grill and then pried up the grill (alternating between the sides so it came up evenly)  Believe me I was holding my breath during the entire process for fear of damaging the dash or the grill (or both!)  

I hope this helps.

Steve
quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber

So I decided to spend this rainy Sunday hooking up the ol' Ipod to my Becker. I was successful -- I can now listen to the Ipod simply by plugging it into the Ipod cable...

Now, talk about one step forward and two steps back. While I was inside the dash, I decided to inspect things. I carefully slid my heater levers (as I always do) -- checking the cable connections. They all moved fine. Then, it happened... Suddenly my right side heater assembly got all loose and floppy. What happened was, there is a plastic cannister that the levers rotate around. It houses the light bulb. One of the screws holding it together gave out. So now my dash looks like this...

Download Attachment: dash1.JPG
72.17 KB

Download Attachment: heater1.jpg
37.05 KB

I now have pretty good access to the area and can dry fit it back in place. However, to really work on it I think my speaker grill needs to go. I have no speaker there or even a screen. So dropping a hand in from up there would be wonderful. Question: can the grill be removed without taking off the long wood trim? I looked around for screws or pins -- not seeing them from my angle.

Thanks for listening. Now where's my beer...[:0]

James
63 230SL

Download Attachment: SpeakerGrill.jpg
47.35 KB

Steve Iatrou
Seaside, CA
1964 230sl roadster
White (050)/Black (116)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 23:20:25 »
Well, the patient is all sewn up and doing well!...

I used some epoxy as Alfred suggested. The pieces went together nicely and I think it will hold. There is not a lot of pressure on the area I don't think.

I removed my grill without a problem, once I loosened up the bows a bit. I now know how it works -- I have pins similar to Steve's -- although mine are not straight but bent slightly. Probably were straight at one point! With the grill off, I was able to screw everything back together (with help of a small mirror and a stubby screw driver).

The rest was just reversal of how everything came apart. No screws left over, either! Now I can enjoy the Ipod I set out to install!

Finally, I need to thank everyone again for their prompt responses! It's amazing how we can turn to the site for help -- and get the right answers within hours, if not minutes! I had told my wife I was going to fix the car, then I bee-lined to the computer -- she said, "aah, the garage is that way!"  ;)

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

hwahaus

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 08:43:19 »
I believe both parts came as a set $40.00. Call Miller's 877-226-1870