Author Topic: Winshield washer pump bracket  (Read 2935 times)

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
Winshield washer pump bracket
« on: June 01, 2007, 17:58:02 »
When I got my 1965 Euro 230SL, it had this green windshield washer pump bracket.  The pump motor projected under the bracket toward the front of the car.

Download Attachment: OldBracket.jpg
22.3 KB

Having been told by reliable sources that the bracket was incorrect, I replaced it with this yellow one.  As shown, the pump motor projects toward the rear of the car.

Download Attachment: NewBracket.jpg
24.67 KB

The new bracket configuration is doubtless correct for a 250SL and a 280SL.  However, with the new bracket the wire to the pump motor seems a bit stretched.  Moreover, the old bracket was clearly built for and probably by Mercedes (of course, the color is wrong).  So I suspect that the old configuration was in fact correct for my car -- is that the case?  If so, what is the purpose of all the extra mounting slots on the old bracket?  Could the old bracket have come from a different model car?

Chris Earnest

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Winshield washer pump bracket
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 19:25:10 »
Hey Chris. Well, my bracket (230) looks a lot like your new one, except it is not yellow but silver (its metal). I believe the pump should face the rear of the car (like photo #2).

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 20:33:50 »
Chris,
I have the original bracket on my 230SL and it also looks like your new one. The bracket was CAD-yellow plated, and as you noticed the wire to the pump is barely long enough. Is your new one painted yellow or plated?

Download Attachment: Washerpump.jpg
43.7 KB

Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 23:11:40 »
Thanks for the replies.  It seems my new bracket is the correct one, and it certainly looks better than the old one, even if it is just painted so far.

I still wonder, though, what car the old bracket was from.  It doesn't look hand-fabricated at all.

Chris

PS  Anyone know why I can't post messages from Firefox, only from Internet Explorer?