Author Topic: Fader switch for Becker radio  (Read 5303 times)

sailjay

Fader switch for Becker radio
« on: April 19, 2007, 19:26:19 »
I recently purchased a reconditioned fader switch for my radio from Becker USA. It will allow me to mix the output from the front speakers to the rear. The way they're currently wired, they all play equally, but because the rear speakers are directly behind my head in the rear deck, I can't even hear the front speakers. The fader switch has a round knob that perfectly matches the radio knobs, lighter, fan etc... but I can't figure out where to install it. Almost every inch of dashboard is spoken for. Also, the switch is a bout 4 inches long so it requires that much clearance behind. Has anyone installed one? Or does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Jay

tuultyme

Re: Fader switch for Becker radio
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 05:51:31 »
I installed mine in the metal side panel behind the passager seat under the wood panel; I do not have the knob for this fader.  There is enough room in this area for the larger fader switch. It is not ready available to change but all I needed to do was get it set the first time.  You could install it above the wood panel for easier access.  I ran the wires in the inner chrome metal channel beside the door.  I did not want to drill any additional holes in the dash.  I installed another fader switch in the left under dash panel; This is to send the sound to the center dash speaker when I am listening to the AM stations.
If you do not have the A/C and have the right under dash panel you might be able to install it in that panel.

Bruce; 268Blaugrun(green) 1970 280SL; IL
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 06:00:02 by tuultyme »

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 09:03:13 »
Jay, Bruce,
If you are not smokers and dont intend to start.
You could remove the cigarette lighter assmebly and put it to the side and fabricate a large chrome or black plastic washer to fasten the fader into the opening for the lighter.
That way the control is close to the radio.
I did that for the vacuum start/stop for the engine.
Walter
1967 220SL-diesel
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 09:03:39 by waltklatt »

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 12:45:49 »
Jay,

Two other thoughts:

Folks who own later cars with rear-window defrosters in the hardtop have a control for the defroster in their center tray, aft of the ashtray.  You could adapt one of these mountings for the fader, and it would look very original (if you have a 280, anyway).  (Now that I re-read your post, your fader might be too long for this idea to work.)

My 230SL has a switch under the dash on the far left (above the hood release) just attached by an "L" bracket under the dash.  (No one seems to know what mine was for; supposition is that since the car was originally French, it was a horn selector.)  Anyway, this location is very unobtrusive, yet handy.

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

sailjay

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 07:51:45 »
Bruce, Walter, David,

I've considered removing the lighter but my wife uses it to charge the cell phone etc. My first idea was the center console in place of the defroster switch but there's no way the Becker switch would fit. I think I'm going to install it under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. I do want it accessible.

Thanks for all your advice.

Jay

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 13:31:45 »
Jay,

When selecting the exact position of the switch (on the left side), please take into consideration the length of travel of the window regulator (complete with human knuckles attached). When I bought my car, the previous owner had attached the switch for the extra foglights here (L-bracket, etc). But it was cramped enough that my knuckles would scrape against the switch if I wasn't careful while winding the window.

WAQAS in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas