Author Topic: How to help a hopeless paint job?  (Read 2376 times)

n/a

How to help a hopeless paint job?
« on: April 08, 2007, 09:55:46 »
('70 2280) So I've resigned myself to wait 2-3 years before I jump into $8-$12K of repainting and body work but until then, what can I do to get the best "finish" out of my tired, dull, glossless and wearing thin paint?

It still has the original maroon but just a bit of pressure with a rag removes paint when waxing. That being said, what product can I use to wax and achieve the best result? I dont care if it will further ruin the paint - its going to come of regardless but I am not interested in hours of work nor $50 pastes so what can someone recommend? Anything out there that actually adds a material or compund when applied that improves the shine other than just using a basic wax?

thanks!

bob66542

Re: How to help a hopeless paint job?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 15:11:36 »
go to your local auto paint supply store(usually ppg or dupont in most us cities) take the car with. ask the older guys that work there- not the pimply kid at the counter- what they reccommend. i personally have had very good luck w/ meguiars products- they have a hand polish i have had very good luck with on old, faded paint. if you have primer peeking through,no pain or polish will fix that.

65 SL 230 4-sp. purchase 12-08-03

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: How to help a hopeless paint job?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 19:17:58 »
If you're getting color off the car and on the rag, that means there's no clear coat.  Most of the Pagodas that were not a metallic color had no clear coat.  You can use any of the good brand name paint cleaners & polishers to remove some of the bad (oxidized) paint.  Do it by hand, a power tool (random orbital polisher) could take too much paint off.

Going to a auto paint supply place (or an actual painter/restorer) is a great suggestion.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"