Author Topic: Gas tank bolts  (Read 2227 times)

seattle_Jerry

Gas tank bolts
« on: May 07, 2007, 23:16:24 »
I removed the gas tank this past weekend and the bolt closest to the front of the car. Totally my fault for not wd-40ing it first.
So the question is how to fix it...get another one welded in place? Or get sleazy with epoxy and chemically adhere the replacement bolt?

Now that I am writing this I can't remember if the bolt is on a support or hanging from the trunk sheetmetal...surely it must be on something substantial.

Oh and somewhere on here there was a discussion about telling if a car has original metal in the back from the half moon cut outs in the body beneath the rear bumper. I would hope even replacement parts have them because you wouldn't be able to remove the gas tank bolts without them...or at least it would be really no fun at all.

1967 230SL Havana Brown Auto with A/C

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: Gas tank bolts
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 13:41:59 »
seattle-Jerry,
sorry to hear about that, I also broke the stud off the front mount on my 66 230sl.
I ended up grinding off the old stud, tapping it out and running a bolt up to secure the tank.

matt

Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

seattle_Jerry

Re: Gas tank bolts
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 02:10:33 »
Great idea...I didn't think of that option! I wonder why they didn't do it that way originally? It was a real pain getting the tank off all three bolts.

1967 230SL Havana Brown Auto with A/C