Author Topic: radio aerial  (Read 3383 times)

Bryn Jones

radio aerial
« on: May 09, 2007, 10:57:45 »
I am new to the Pagoda and have just purchased 280SL. It has a nice Becker Europa radio but crap reception as the aerial has been hidden horizontally in the engine compartment. I will have to fit it properly and from photos it seems that the normal location is the right hand front wing. I can't work out how this is done or what the correct location is. Does the lower section of the aerial locate in the  the rear of the front wheel well or into  the footwell of the car?. If it is into the footwell of the car there appear to be structures and pressings that I can feel when reaching up above the footwell that would obstruct the installation. I see from the forum that there was an alternative location on the rear lefthand wing but this does not seem to be the standard.

Bryn Jones

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: radio aerial
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 11:19:56 »
Hey Bryn. Not an expert but I believe in my car, I can fish my hand up from the footwell to get to the inside base of the antenna. I recall it being tricky.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 12:14:28 »
quote:
Originally posted by Bryn Jones

...  I can't work out how this is done or what the correct location is. Does the lower section of the aerial locate in the  the rear of the front wheel well or into  the footwell of the car? ...

Indeed the lower antenna section fits into a compartment in the wheel well that is accessible from the inside.
See: Antenna Installation
And more can be found here: http://sl113.com/forums/index.php?topic=4420

Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 12:46:50 »
Hi, Bryn,

It doesn't sound like you have a hole for the antenna. Here is a diagram I uploaded some time ago that shows where it goes:

http://www.sl113.com/forums/uploaded/davidapease/2006927233147_AntennaMountingHole-small.jpg

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

seattle_Jerry

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 01:53:43 »
Mine has the excellent aftermarket option of the aerial on the rear fender. The beauty of its location is that the failed seal allows water to pour into the trunk. on the upside it has easy access.

1967 230SL Havana Brown Auto with A/C

Bryn Jones

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 12:41:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by Bryn Jones

I am new to the Pagoda and have just purchased 280SL. It has a nice Becker Europa radio but crap reception as the aerial has been hidden horizontally in the engine compartment. I will have to fit it properly and from photos it seems that the normal location is the right hand front wing. I can't work out how this is done or what the correct location is. Does the lower section of the aerial locate in the  the rear of the front wheel well or into  the footwell of the car?. If it is into the footwell of the car there appear to be structures and pressings that I can feel when reaching up above the footwell that would obstruct the installation. I see from the forum that there was an alternative location on the rear lefthand wing but this does not seem to be the standard.

Bryn Jones

Bryn Jones

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 12:41:56 »
Thanks guys for your replies. They have shed light on my darkness!

Bryn