Author Topic: Hazard warning light switch  (Read 5053 times)

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
Hazard warning light switch
« on: May 10, 2007, 12:03:03 »
Anyone know where I can find a hazard light switch that would fit neatly under the dash of my (Euro) 230SL?  I want something fairly small.  I don't want to drill a hole in the dash to use the switch that came on later American model Pagodas.

Chris

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Re: Hazard warning light switch
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 12:56:09 »
Chris .... Another approach would be to utilize one of the functions of the lighting system that is not being used.  Like the fog light circuit (pulling the light switch out) or if you have clearance lights, use the right clearance light as the hazard circuit.  The clearance circuit works well as it is not controlled by the ignition switch.

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16 Kompressor, MGB 5-Speed
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

Rolf

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 13:06:32 »
Chris... I have a hazard switch in my 230SL. It is mounted just behind the hood release just above the left kick plate. Bud's Benz should have them.

Rolf
1966 230SL Auto
1992 300D
1991 FLHS

gugel

• Silver
    • CPE Site
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 12:30:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by Rolf

Chris... I have a hazard switch in my 230SL. It is mounted just behind the hood release just above the left kick plate. Bud's Benz should have them.

Rolf
1966 230SL Auto
1992 300D
1991 FLHS

I called Bud's Benz, but he doesn't carry the switch.  Any other sources anyone knows about?

(The problem is, of course, that all cars have come with a built-in switch for so long that there's little or no market any more for a universal add-on switch)

Chris

George Des

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 13:22:52 »
Chris,
Ck with SLS or Van Diijk. I know Bosch makes one because my 67 230Sl did not have one and when I registered it with the US Military in Germany, I had to have one put in. It mounts under the dashboard but can also go on the kick panel. It has a red knob with a light bulb inside that blinks off and on when activated. I do not have a part number for it but it is made by Bosch so a Bosch dealer should be able to tell you where to order one. It splices into the turn signal stalk at the plug and will activate the blinkers on all four corners.

George Des

al_lieffring

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 14:48:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by gugel

Anyone know where I can find a hazard light switch that would fit neatly under the dash of my (Euro) 230SL?  I want something fairly small.  I don't want to drill a hole in the dash to use the switch that came on later American model Pagodas.

Chris

The circuit of a 4way flasher conversion for these cars is fairly simple, all it would take is a DPDT switch and a flasher can. I could draw up a diagram if you are interested.

Al

66 230sl
Tour de Cure 50km unicycle ride to benefit Diabetes research.
http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=personal&fr_id=4372&px=2737950
Click link to sponsor my ride on May 20th.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 14:49:07 by al_lieffring »

Rolf

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 15:16:09 »
Millers lists one also.

Rolf
1966 230SL Auto
1992 300D
1991 FLHS

gugel

• Silver
    • CPE Site
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 16:13:07 »
quote:

Ck with SLS or Van Diijk.
--------------

The circuit of a 4way flasher conversion for these cars is fairly simple, all it would take is a DPDT switch and a flasher can. I could draw up a diagram if you are interested.
--------------

Millers lists one also.

Thanks for the various suggestions.  SLS (and others) do carry the Mercedes part which fits in the dash of later cars (at an exorbitant price), but neither they nor Millers has a generic under-dash switch.

I realize the circuit is simple, but I'd really like to have a switch with a flashing red light, even a hazard symbol on the face, and some sort of mounting box.  I had such a switch, wired up with the flasher can, but it wasn't very well made, and the mounting box has broken.

Maybe my best bet is to attempt to repair or replace just the box.

Thanks,

Chris Earnest

George Des

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 09:07:44 »
Chris,

I checked the SLS site. The hazard switch put in my car while in Germany by a Bosch shop is the one listed as part# 982034. Looks like it costs about Euro 38 before taxes. Mine works flawlessly.

George Des