Author Topic: Cleanest Survivor in Existence??  (Read 5741 times)

norton

Cleanest Survivor in Existence??
« on: May 14, 2007, 10:21:09 »

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
Re: Cleanest Survivor in Existence??
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 11:02:12 »
It used to be that you could tell fairly easily when a used car salesman was lying: Watch the lips: He's lying when they move. On this car, all the pics are exterior shots and a camera will hide things when the light is right. I'd want to see pics from underneath, engine compartment, trunk and see compression readings. And then I'd want to arrange for a personal inspection at the local MB shop where the car can be put on a lift and by a competent mechanic that knows these cars. I'd pay good money for such an inspection and it would be worth every penny.
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

Douglas

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 11:56:33 »
I was just looking at that auction. I was immediately skeptical, but the car actually looks pretty nice. It's hard to tell from digital pix, particularly with a white car, but it seems promising (with the possible exception of what looks like a hole in the rocker panel on the passenger side). A couple of other little things, but let's just say it looks like it's worth a closer inspection.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

glcg123

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Canada, MB, Winnipeg
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 15:36:15 »
A couple of points that warrant investigation:

1. The soft top does not appear to be original. The top chrome trim above the rear window is missing and the rear window will likely have some discoloration.

2. The spark plug wire cover is missing. For a car that was seldom driven these should be in place.

3. The paint around the MB lopgo on the hood looks like it is starting to bubble.

4. There were no pictures of the eyebrows on the front fenders. People who know this series car would know that is a sign of originality.

The dealer selling probably doesn't know a great deal about these cars.

George

1965 230SL - 4 speed

enochbell

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 15:57:27 »
There is a lot to like about this car, especially if the "rust free" claim can be vetted.  But what is that trim strip under the license plate?  Did this model have the antenna moved to the rear quarter?  What about the original bright work (I think mine is aluminum)strip on the outside of the soft top (above the plastic window)...it is missing.  The original-looking firewall pad is about right for its state of crumble. Finally, the radio.  But the carpet does look original, including the rubber ring at the base of the shift lever.  This could be the real deal?

Best,
g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 16:25:22 »
Hi, Greg and George,

You both have pretty early models.  By the time this car was built, the metal strip on the soft top had been dropped  

The trip strip under the license plate was standard on Euro models (since Euro plates were not as "tall" as US plates).  

I have at least one piece of old Hirschmann documentation that shows mounting the antenna on the rear quarter; I think that the location (front/rear) was often the choice of the installer. :(

If the spark plug wire cover you're asking about is the metal channel, I think that had been dropped in the later cars, as well.

-David Pease
'66 French 230SL
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

gugel

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Rolling Hills Estates
    • CPE Site
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 16:32:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by enochbell

But what is that trim strip under the license plate?  

The European model 230SL had this as standard equipment.  It makes a nice underline for the narrow European plate:

Download Attachment: RearPlate.jpg
38.86 KB

Chris Earnest

Chad

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 20:27:43 »
Several things seem non-original in looking at the pics (which are not highres and are all exterior.  For example, the radio is non-original  This will set you back $700 from Becker of NA to replace. Worth it if the car is the real deal. The car needs a personal or professional inspection though.  He hasn't presented enough pictorial or documentation evidence to sell the car according to his boasting about it.

4000 miles driven since 1975 is also suspect, for truthfulness. Also if the car has been driven only 4000 miles in 32 years then I would expect to deal with many thigns needing freshened up.  I believe that I am dealing with that problem myself with my 230SL. The car was stored for eons.

1967 230SL
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 20:32:02 by Chad »

Douglas

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 20:47:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by glcg123

1. The soft top does not appear to be original. The top chrome trim above the rear window is missing and the rear window will likely have some discoloration.

George

1965 230SL - 4 speed

That actually is an original top. It has the proper insignia in the rear window. Pretty impressive.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

miniwarmth

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 00:52:34 »
what is the red knob/pull below the dash, to the right of the steering column? Choke?  

This car looks nice..I agree though that an inspection, or a long, long talk with the owner would be needed before moving forward. btw, the notches on the headlight appear to align nicely with the body.

'65 230SL

Douglas

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 04:03:17 »
I think that's a Hazard light switch.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

hill

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 15:12:53 »
The car is gone. The seller nas great feedback and I know one of his customers and he was happy.

Happy Benzing
Darryl, Hill
350 SL4.5 #60
1967 250sl "California"

peterm

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 17:21:33 »
This may have been a radio delete car as the face plate is in the glove box.  I bought my becker europa from ebay and had it "tuned" by becker to replace the original dealer installed blaupunct cassete player much cheaper way to go and has that period correct look.

Are the door panels correct?  mine have expandable pockets not fixed, that may have been a quirk of the later model years i suppose.