Author Topic: better question  (Read 2806 times)

peterm

better question
« on: May 18, 2007, 14:30:40 »
leak coming from rear axle, how big a deal is this?  how do i replace fluid?

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: better question
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 14:38:43 »
Fire and brimstone I'm afraid...

I'd say it depends on exactly what is leaking and how much. Mine has leaked for a lot of years -- slowly. I have replaced the pinion seal, cleaned out the overflow vent screen, made sure it wasn't overfilled and looked over the rubber bellow seal... nothing seems to stop it entirely. I'd wait for the pros but in the meantime, how about more info? As far as changing the rear differential oil -- not a big deal for mechanics, I have had mine changed without much ado.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 14:56:37 »
Replacement is easy:
(1) keep the axle tubes level with the road (there's a lot of fluid in there, so you don't want to re-fill the diff while the tubes are hanging down-- you'll over-fill!)
(2) open the fill bolt on the rear of the differential, using a large allen socket drive (I think 14mm or 17mm).
(3) open the drain bolt (same size allen bolt) underneath the diff and let the fluid drain out. (look for metal particles etc, to judge the health of the diff)
(4) close the drain bolt, and re-fill diff from the fill bolt hole. Do this until the fluid is level with the fill hole. Replace the fill bolt.
(5) while you're down there, check to make sure the breather tube (screwed-in above left side of diff. casing) is clear. There is a small felt pad trapped between the top of this metal tube and a metal cap. You can pry it apart and clean the pad and the metal parts.

I usually do this job while the car is parked on a level surface, without having to jack it up, but you may need to jack it up depending on your 'agility'. If you do jack up the car, make sure the axle tubes are horizontal.

Hope this helps.

WAQAS in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

tuultyme

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 18:04:47 »
I replaced my rubber split boot being careful to clean up everything before putting everything back together.  I used just a little sealer on the split boot.  Now I do not have any leak.

Bruce; 268Blaugrun(green) 1970 280SL; IL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 21:01:51 »
Hey Bruce. When you say you replaced the rubber split boot -- do you mean you used the replacement split boot to replace the original whole-piece one? or was this a third boot? I have heard mixed messages about the two-halved ones -- my mechanic thinks the whole one is the way to go...
good part of splitters: they can be done with the axle on car
bad part: they are a pain to install with the clips and risk getting muck inside. Anyone else have an opinion?

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL