Author Topic: Power Steering box question  (Read 2964 times)

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
Power Steering box question
« on: May 19, 2007, 20:35:58 »
My car hadn't been driven the last year as it sat in the paint shop.  I've got a little play in the wheel and was planning on taking a look at the bushings that tend to wear out.   After having the car back and driving about 100 miles I've developed a real groan in the power steering.  Fluid was a bit low and topped it off.  No foam or bubbles.

I've gotten under the car and can see evidence of power steering fluid on the drop arm under the steering box.  Just looking for some ideas to address and get me pointed in the right direction.  Is there a seal that could be leaking there?   I know there is an O-ring on the top but there is no evidence of leakage there.  Only the bottom.  Is it potentially more serious, etc.  Any thoughts?

Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Corinth, TX
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 20:47:26 by dldubois »
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

jeffc280sl

Re: Power Steering box question
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 07:26:06 »
Hi Dana,

If I remember there is an o-ring and press fit oil seal in the lower housing cover of the power steering gearbox.  Attached is a pic of the assembly.  I think it is possible, with the steering box in place, to remove the pitman arm and the lower cover to install the o-ring and oil seal.  I would do that if I had this leak.

Download Attachment: steering box1.jpg
28.05 KB

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed