Author Topic: A/C compressor oil leak  (Read 6293 times)

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
A/C compressor oil leak
« on: August 02, 2007, 21:52:53 »
My York A/C compressor has sprung an oil leak (I presume from the front). It's very slight, but then again I don't know how much oil is left in the compressor sump.
Some questions:
- Has anyone here replaced the seal? (Any special tools required?)
- Where does one find a suitable new replacement seal?
- Does it require a special kind of oil? (or will any 2-stroke oil do?)
- Is there any real benefit to upgrading the York to a rotary Sanden? (don't know much about either)

Thanks for any guidance,

WAQAS in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
Re: A/C compressor oil leak
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 00:46:55 »
Hi WAQAS,

This sounds like a good time to dump that York.  Most people on this site who have converted to the Sanden have reported:

Smoother running - almost to the point you cannot feel the compressor clutch kick on.

Less strain on the engine

Smaller size

Some have said cooling is improved also.

I am in the process of converting over.  I am going with R-134a refrigerant.  I am also changing the blower to a Spal Blower and changing the condensor to a parallel flow type.  My A/C guy says except for the blower, changing the hoses and condensor is not necessary as was previously thought when conversions from the old R-12 first started taking place.  I used Erick known as TexasErick on ebay for the bracket and Compressor.  He will be making my hoses and supplying a new drier and expansion valve once I can get the Compressor installed to confirm hose lengths.

You will need an adapter bracket and decide which refrigerant you want to go with so the Sanden can be fitted with the appropriate oil.  If you plan to use you existing components and decide to switch to R-134a, the connection fittings at the compressor will normally be provided with o-ring fittings unlike the compression on the York.  Just let your supplier know what you are doing.  Good Luck.

Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Light Ivory
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

al_lieffring

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 06:33:50 »
q.1 Yes I used to change the seals all the time, the seal is a ceramic disc, Dont recall if there is a special puller for the York, I think there is a plate behind the clutch that comes off by taking out a couple of screws. Changing the seals never seemed to make much difference, York compressors are by design a leaky contraption.

q.2 Auto parts stores or Auto a/c specialty shop. The shaft seal is available alone or in a complete gasket set.

q.3 The oil in the York compressor sump is the same as the refrigerant oil that circulates through the system. The oil is under pressure from the refrigerant, so if a little oil is leaking out the seal, a lot of refrigerant is leaking out there too.

q.4 A York besides being,leaky,noisy,obsolete 1950's technology, also only displaces 4cubic inches per revoloution. The Sanden is somewhere around 6 cubic inches. more volume = more cooling.  

Al Lieffring
66 230Sl
Jones'n for a new gas tank

George Des

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 06:49:20 »
WAQAS,

If your not hung up on originality--even the York come to think of it really isn't original since the Kuhlmeister and Frigiking units were dealer installed--the rotary compressor is really the way to go. As pointed it out, it is more efficient, draws less power off the engine, and has a whole lot less vibration allowing you to do away with the struts used to stabilize the York. The rotary is also a smaller package than the York. If you decide to stick with a York, new or rebuilt units can be had fairly cheaply by shopping around and this may make more sense in the long run than trying to repair what you've got.

George Des

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 10:45:14 »
Wow! Thanks for all the great responses, guys!

Frank, it was great to meet you at the PUB. I think I might follow your advice and look for a Sanden unit. I did a preliminary search, and dozens of models popped up. Which particular model would work for our cars?  Also, is there a ready-made bracket for the sanden, or do I need to rig my own?

Al and George, thanks for the replies. The cooling has diminished over the past few months, but it still works. I think I'll start looking for all the bits and pieces to make the conversion, and _then_ remove the old York unit.

Best regards,

Waqas in Austin, Texas

George Des

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 15:10:16 »
The Sanden 508 is a popular choice. The 505 has also been used as well by some but I think Sanden discontinued that model a hwile abck.

George Des

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 22:27:25 »
I found multiple online sources for the Sanden 508, as well as a conversion bracket from York to Sanden. Unfortunately, just when I seem to have a fully functional car, something else pops up! [more important than passenger climate control]

I think I'll replace the compressor over the winter, as I need to collect all the pieces (bracket and pulley changes, discharging and recharging, etc). I'll report back once I'm finished.

Thanks again for all the info.
Best regards,

Waqas ('Wa-kaas') in Austin, Texas