Author Topic: Ignition switch  (Read 5435 times)

jsaylor

Ignition switch
« on: September 27, 2004, 12:32:59 »
Just received my first 230SL '65.  When I turn the key on everything powers up, yet when I turn it to start, it often doesn't.  Sometimes it take several trys.  I believe that the problem is a short @ the key switch.  How do I get to it?  How do I remove instrament cluster?

Jim Saylor

A Dalton

Re: Ignition switch
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 12:39:31 »
Is it auto trans ?????

jsaylor

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 12:45:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by A Dalton

Is it auto trans ?????

No 4Speed manual.

Jim Saylor

iceberg

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 13:36:10 »
Hey Jsaylor,
It could be something else.  The thing is that I got my car a year ago and in a hurryn I pulled everything out too and that was silly.  The more intact the interior the better it is so let it be.  First Identify the prob adn then dig into the source. The  ignition switch is not that easy to take apart, so don't play with it till u are sure that the prob actually lies there.  I think its your fuel delivery system.  Same thing happened to me.  The fuel pump is usually clogged and the car needs a tune up aswell.  So start there.  Look at the post or get in touch with member to find out what is really going on instead of ripping out things, because i know from exprience that you will regret this, I know I did, adn it took me a while to put it all back together again.  Drive it and enjoy it...don't mess with it so that it sits till u fix it.  Let me know if u need help. hassan_02@hotmail.com
Regards,
Hassan

jsaylor

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 15:10:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by iceberg

Hey Jsaylor,
It could be something else.  The thing is that I got my car a year ago and in a hurryn I pulled everything out too and that was silly.  The more intact the interior the better it is so let it be.  First Identify the prob adn then dig into the source. The  ignition switch is not that easy to take apart, so don't play with it till u are sure that the prob actually lies there.  I think its your fuel delivery system.  Same thing happened to me.  The fuel pump is usually clogged and the car needs a tune up aswell.  So start there.  Look at the post or get in touch with member to find out what is really going on instead of ripping out things, because i know from exprience that you will regret this, I know I did, adn it took me a while to put it all back together again.  Drive it and enjoy it...don't mess with it so that it sits till u fix it.  Let me know if u need help. hassan_02@hotmail.com
Regards,
Hassan

Jim Saylor

jsaylor

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 15:16:10 »
Thanks for your input.  The fuel is fine.  There is a short somewhere, as I turn the key half way the fuel pump comes on, then as I turn to start sometimes the starter kicks or sometimes nothing, after a few turns (2-10) the starter turns and she starts fine.

Jim

Jim Saylor

A Dalton

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 17:06:55 »
OK
 I ask about the tranny as the auto has a N safety switch that is in the circuit..
 So,now I know we  don't have that to contend with.

Here is a simple test.

You have either a bad starter contact ring in the ignition switch OR possible bad starter/brushes/solinoid [ or wiring in between]
 If you take a test wire and jumper from terminal "G" at the time thermo switch [ this will be the short terminal] to Battery B+, the starter should turn [make sure you are in "N" for this jumper test]
 Do it a few times , and if the stsrter cranks every time , you have verified its integrity.. concluding that you have a bad start/ign switch.
 If no turn or not every time you jump, you have a problem down at the starter..
All that this test does is jumps past,and therefore eliminates , the ignition switch start feature/circuit

Bingo... let me/us know.........

n/a

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2004, 21:57:48 »
Jim,
Are you saying that you turn the key and the starter does not react?  If so, you want to check to see if voltage is reaching the starter.  If it is, the problem is the starter motor.  If not, the problem is your ignition switch, or wiring in between.  The wiring to the starter is very direct.  If you rig up a little test light with a 12 volt light, you can test if power is getting to the starter.
Regards,
Don
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 22:00:28 by n/a »

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004, 22:31:46 »
Hello Jim,
These are all good items to check from the other listers.
On rare occasions the ignition switch can go bad. The steering lock/ ignition switch assembly has a separate electrical switching unit on the back of the assembly. It is held on by three small slotted screws. It will remove easily however getting to it is difficult since the instruments need to be removed first! Make sure every thing else is ok before taking the plunge.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

jsaylor

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2004, 00:16:55 »
Dalton etal;
Oh the wonders of WD40.  I sprayed  a shot into the ignition switch, Viola, no more problem.  Seems that this narrows it down to the I.switch.  Thanks for all the input, I'm sure I'll have many more ???.  Otherwise, what what joy to drive, top down almost full moon in Hawaii...
Jim :)

Jim Saylor

A Dalton

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2004, 08:13:45 »
Great
 That would indicate the switch all right..
 A little side note .
 If the switch does fail completely on you, the jumper suggestion I mentioned will start the car for you and get you home.
 The time switch right up on top, close to the battery and part of the same start circuit, so that is why we use that point for the jump, whereas the starter solinoid is hard to reach.
 Many use the same spot for remote starter switch hook up when working on the car..
 I lived in Hawaii for a year and loved snorkling at Hannama Bay..
 What Island are you on??????

jsaylor

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2004, 11:37:14 »
I live on the east side of Kauai.  Been here over 28 years and still love it.

Aloha,

Jim

Jim Saylor

sjiatrou

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 18:46:59 »
Jim:

It seems that my '64 230sl has decided to replicate your problem: The fuel pump comes on at position 2 but when I turn to start it often does nothing.  After a few attempts it will initiate the starter.

I'm curious as to what ultimately proved to be the problem, how you fixed it and if you've had any further problems.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Iatrou
Seaside, CA
1964 230sl roadster
White (050)/Black (116)

jsaylor

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 16:00:57 »
Steve,

The problem was in the switch behind steering lock.  I was able to find a used one and replaced the ignition key,lock and switch.
End of problem.

Good luck.

Jim Saylor
Kauai, Hawaii
'65 230SL

sjiatrou

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 22:42:47 »
Thanks Jim!  That's great information.

Steve

Steve Iatrou
Seaside, CA