Author Topic: steering box leak  (Read 3583 times)

piddler

steering box leak
« on: June 03, 2007, 12:29:19 »
I saw this addressed in an earlier post, but I need more help.

I have a leak at the top of the steering box where the play is adjusted.  According to the previous post, I should remove the acorn nut then remove the lock nut. Then I should be able to turn out the disc and replace the "O" ring. I got as far as the disc but I cannot get it out. It will turn but will not back out. It does not seem that it is stripped. What am I missing?

I appreciate any and all help, Pete

jeffc280sl

Re: steering box leak
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 18:31:49 »
Pete,

The disk beneath the lock nut is threaded.  You need to hold the disk firmly in place while removing the nut.  Once the nut is removed you can hold the end of the shaft with a small wrench and spin the disk off.  If you have trouble with the lock nut I suggest using a nut cutter to break the nut off.  The nut is common and can easily be replaced.  If you break or mess up the threaded shaft you are in big trouble and will most likely need to remove the box.  Remember the number of threads showing on top of the disk.  When you return the disk you should try to get it in the same location as before.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

jeffc280sl

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 18:34:46 »
Pete,

Try and clean the threads with a wire wheel or brush so the disk is easier to remove.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

piddler

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 05:01:01 »
Jeff, are you talking about the number of threads on the shaft? I have the acorn nut and the lock nut off. The disc is almost even with the top of the steering box. I am having a hard time holding the shaft while turning the disc. I will spray it with some penetrating oil this morning  and try again. Does the disc also thread in to the box? It seems that it would need to in order for the adjustment to function.

Thanks again and advance for you help, Pete

jeffc280sl

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 06:25:04 »
Pete,

The number of threads on the shaft is important when reinstalling the disk.  The shaft is actually a bolt that has a spring at the opposite end.  If you add more threads to the shaft (bolt) you will put more tension on the spring end which takes up any play in the steering box.

The is an o-ring in a slot on the outside edge of the disk.  This edge is not threaded to the box. The disk sits on a shelf in the box.  As the disk is threaded down the shaft more tension is placed on the spring.   Earlier you said the disk will turn which indicates the connection of the disk to the box is free and not frozen with rust or corrosion.  The only challenge is to free the disk on the shaft or bolt.  You can try holding the shaft and tightening the disk, spin it clockwise, to expose some clean threads and then use a dremel tool and small wire wheel to clean the exposed threads.  After the threads are clean try to hold the shaft and spin the disk counter clockwise to remove it.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

piddler

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 11:20:31 »
I can turn the disc and hold the shaft for a few turns. Then I cannot turn the the disc on the shaft. I can turn the shaft & disc at the same time it seems like for ever and nothing happens. I have lubricated the threads with penetrating oil.

I hope to have some tech. information this week. I am sure that will help.

Thanks, Pete

jeffc280sl

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 14:51:25 »
Pete,

Sounds like you are almost there.  Here is a pic of the box issue you are working on.

Download Attachment: steering box Pete.jpg
48 KB

The shaft and disk turning together will not help remove the disk.  Remember the disk is threaded and so is the shaft.  It appears the disk is binding on the shaft after a few turns. Hold the shaft and turn the disk in the opposite direction (clockwise).  Clean the threads on the shaft. Hold the shaft and turn the disk counter clockwise and try to push through the rust or corrosion stopping it from turning freely. Keep working on it with penetrating oil and a wire brush.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

piddler

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 06:24:04 »
Jeff, Thanks a lot. The drawing makes things a lot more clear

Hopefully one day I will gain enough experience and knowledge that I will be able to assist others.

Again thanks, Pete

jeffc280sl

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 10:01:18 »
Glad to help.  You're so close to solving this problem leak.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed