Author Topic: Manual Transmission Fluid Type  (Read 3324 times)

paults1

• Senior
  • USA, FL, The Villages
Manual Transmission Fluid Type
« on: June 29, 2007, 21:40:42 »
I need to change out the fluid in my manual, 4 speed, transmission. The specs. call for automatic transmission fluid type A. Is it OK to use the more modern types, e.g. Dexron II,II-E, or III or Dexron/Mercon fluids? Searching the internet I found that the Warren Oil Co. still makes the Type A. There is probably others companies also. I believe the previous owner must have used 90W oil as it is a brown color, not red. I would appreciate feed back on this before I proceed.

Regards, Paul '63 230SL

George Davis

Re: Manual Transmission Fluid Type
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 22:49:13 »
Paul,

I tried Type A ATF, Dexron III, and Redline D4 Synthetic ATF.  Didn't notice any difference between Type A and Dex III, but the box shifted slightly better with the Redline D4.  After rebuilding the 'box I put in Dex III, it works fine.  I'll still switch to D4 before long, but overall it doesn't seem to make much difference which type ATF you use.  I tried gear oil, too, and that was definitely not the way to go, so hopefully switching to ATF will improve shifting for you.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: Manual Transmission Fluid Type
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 00:01:59 »
I've been using Mobil-1 synthetic ATF for the past few years now with great results. Both my 113 and 111-coupe manual transmissions shift very smoothly.

WAQAS in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas