Author Topic: Radiator scaling  (Read 4460 times)

n/a

Radiator scaling
« on: July 21, 2003, 13:33:26 »
I have heard that the early MB radiators had a tendancy to develop a scaling which after time ruins the heat transfer qualities of the radiator. Has anyone heard of this condition?

What are people's experiences with "rodding and coring" of 113 radiators? Anyone have a good source for reconditioned radiators? What kind of price?

I've burned most of my car budget for the year with a new clutch, rebuild of fuel pump, rebuild of P/S pump and a bunch of other little things. I hope I don't have to dump $800 into a new radiator.

Thanks.

dwilli3038

Re: Radiator scaling
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 18:16:26 »
Unless it is totaly ruiened most radiator shops can do a boil out. I believe it cost me $50 or $60 to have mine boiled out.

Daryl
'64 230 SL

n/a

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2003, 12:31:11 »
Has anyone out there recently recored a radiator? I understand a decent radiator shop can replace the old core with a 2 or 3 row core using the existing tanks. How much?

Shawn Rock
Philly, PA USA
1968 280 SL 4 speed

n/a

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2003, 14:43:42 »
I had my radiator re-cored for about $220 by a guy in Fremont, CA.  He did a good job, and I'm sure you can find the skill at various places around the country.

Unfortunately, I lost track of the guy that was rebuilding a P-51D radiator during my last re-core in 1988, or I would have used him:-)

They can usually re-core them if the top and bottom tanks are in good shape.

n/a

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2003, 20:13:34 »
Shawn,
I recored my radiator with a 3 pass core and it cost about $200-250. I do not recall the exact amount and I do not have my receipt here.
This has not solved my cooling problems. This weekend I am embarking on the journey towards replacing the fan clutch and the water pump. I am also looking at installing an auxillary electric fan. I have read here that this is the ultimate solution.
I will post the results when I have finished.

Regards,
Stan