Author Topic: blinker/wiper/directional part question  (Read 2540 times)

marti

blinker/wiper/directional part question
« on: July 09, 2007, 22:34:17 »
Hello everyone.  I have a question for you all.  The plastic broke on my directional switch so although I can still kind of use the blinkers I can't turn the wipers on.  I brought it down to the MB place and they said it would be $650 for the part (not including installation of course)--right after that, I did a search on e-bay and happen to find one for sale.  On a whim I bid and won the switch ($169.00).  Now I realize I don't know if this switch will work in my car! it looks the same except the metal bar is a little thicker and the cap that attaches to the column is alot stiffer than the one on my car.  My car is a very early 1963--I'm not sure what year the part came from and the seller hasn't e-mailed back yet.

I don't want to take the steering column apart without knowing wheter this part will work.  The auction just said 230, 250, 280 MB.  Can anyone direct me to a place on-line where I can find part numbers for my car? Also, does anyone know off hand where the part number can be found on the directional switch?

I also have a question about NAME THAT NOICE....When I let up on the gas I hear a "Twittle" sound comming from the font end.  I also hear it when I depress the clutch.  It goes away when I put on the gas and when I release the clutch.  Can it be a cable? or something worse? Any help you can give me will be very appreciated.

thanks

marti

Mpotter

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: blinker/wiper/directional part question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 02:14:53 »
Hello Marti,

The switch for the 230 and early 250 SLs are different from the later cars. You can tell from the shape of the chrome stalk. The early one is almost straight while the later one is more 'angled'.

The part # for the early one is 001 545 5524 and the later one is 002 545 2924. In the UK, they are both priced the same (very expensive!!).

You do not need to remove the steering column to change the switch - just the plug at the end of the wires to be able to thread them thru the gap between column and outer seath.

Hope this helps.

naj

68 280SL
68 280SL

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: blinker/wiper/directional part question
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 07:27:24 »
Maybe this one is still available?  Contact the seller by clicking on their user name.
http://index.php?topic=5405

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"