Author Topic: pertronix ignition  (Read 3822 times)

piddler

pertronix ignition
« on: June 30, 2007, 05:50:20 »
Is anyone using the Pertronix ignition in a 230sl? I need to tune mine and I would like to go to the electronic. I am running the Pertronix in my TR6 and it works great. Much better than points.

As always, all help appreciated, Pete

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
Re: pertronix ignition
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 06:12:33 »
Pete .... The Pentronix is excellent in the 230SL.  Do a search and you will find a lot of information.

Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, 190E 2.3-16, MGB 5-Speed
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 16:39:56 »
I have used a Pertronix for several years in my '66 230SL, and have had excellent service from it.  Certainly the most impact from a performance related improvement to my car.  Do pay attention to the distributor your car has, and Pertronix will tell you the compatible unit.  I have a low compression engine, and associated distributor, so there could be a bit of variation from car to car.

Regards -- Roger
1966 230SL black 4 speed (250 low compression engine)

enochbell

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 05:02:44 »
I have had the Pertronix on my '64 for about 5 years, all is well.  When I bought the unit I also researched the Crane and found that it was not compatible with the early distributor, so Pertronix was the only option.  

Best,
g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 10:24:37 »
Hey Greg. Since I also have an early dist. (possibly earlier than yours) can you divulge the particulars? Where did you get it, how mucho? Exact model number etc... (and later perhaps some play-by-play). Now that I am a Points Aficionado, I can appreciate why many have switched!

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

enochbell

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 14:11:48 »
James,

I don't really remember the supplier, it was somewhere in Seattle, I paid about $150 as I recall.  But the unit is widely available and it is now cheaper too.  I would just call ahead to make sure this fits your distributor, as it is listed for 66-67.

http://www.classicgarage.com/permer250se1.html

Installation is about plug-and-play simple, your only decision will be where to mount the module.  I fastened mine to the underside of the battery tray so that it would be invisible.  Done with a little care the entire unit is undetectable, if you care about having a "stock" engine bay.  And, of course, keep all the bits from your old unit so that you can return the distributor to original if you ever want to.  As if.

Best,
g

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 14:15:29 by enochbell »

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 18:26:17 »
I do seem to remember there was a couple of people who had a problem with the dwell on the pertronix and had to get a new magnet wheel from Pertronix with the correct dwell.

Had one on my 280 for years and I love it. I still carry a set of points in case of a failure or nuclear war.