Author Topic: 576 color code  (Read 3918 times)

shaf

576 color code
« on: July 25, 2007, 11:09:50 »
Hi all, confused what color to paint my car always wanted a black with red leather my car is in restoration so i can change the origional color which dark red paint code 576. Can any one advice if this is a good idea to do or does any one have a car this color would post pictures.

thanks

Shaf

RCS Coupe

Re: 576 color code
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 14:24:43 »
I have just completed a full nut-and-bolt restoration of my '67 250SL coupe where I changed its color. When I had my car all the way down to the bare welded body structure, I decided that was the time to choose a new color. Mine left the factory in 158 white-grey with a 190 dark grey top and a caviar (silvery dark grey) interior. It is now 268 dark green, matching top, parchment interior with light green carpet.

I would not change colors in anything less than a fully disassembled body because you will find that body color is everywhere . To do it right, remove everything from the engine compartment, dashboard, door pillars, wheel wells, etc.; it is amazing where you will find body color. There are bolted on pieces that get painted body color, too, separately. (the cowl air flapper comes to mind)

Changing the color of the interior is a task, too. There is a dozen or more of small, hand-fitted pieces of fabric in and around the dash board and windscreen alone. (Carefully save and label every scrap of old fabric you remove to use as patterns for the new color.)

The finished car is now exactly the color combination I wanted. It was a lot of work but the end result is georgous (to me!)

Ray
(268)Green 250 Coupe

psmith

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 22:07:49 »
Shaf,

IMHO the black and red combo looks great.  Any black car shows imperfections so make sure the bodywork is well done.  Here are some pictures.  One is my friends car (he changed the color from white to black) and the interior shot I got off the internet.

Pete S.

psmith

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 22:11:18 »
...and here's the interior shot.

Pete S.

Douglas

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 21:38:49 »
I couldn't help but notice there's a black/red 280 SL on ebay right now: item #320141040795.

(I have no connection to the seller.)

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 12:27:45 »
Hello Shaf,

Basically it's up to you to switch colors or not. Many here on the group disagree with color changes because it will no longer be the original appearance of your car (i.e. data card conforming). But eventually it is your choice.

576 Dunkelbordeauxrot (dark bordeaux red) was only original for early 230 SLs until 1965 but not later. The color code for later dark red cars was/is 542 dark red, which looks almost the same.

Look at http://index.php?topic=6783
to see what 576 Glasurit looks like. Goes especially well with light colored leather but also with black or cognac, etc.

Good luck!

Achim
1971 230/8 Euro
1999 Audi A4 Euro
Achim
(Germany)

gnj588d

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 15:23:18 »
Hi.all The code for dark bordeaux red is 573 and as you say only on early 230sl thanks for using my car as a reference.Mike Rutledge Liverpool.Take Care.