Author Topic: Brake vacuum line condenser/trap  (Read 2520 times)

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
Brake vacuum line condenser/trap
« on: July 27, 2007, 10:37:55 »
Hello,

In replacing the vacuum line from the intake manifold to the brake booster, I found the trap/gas condenser adjacent to the brake booster full of fluid.  I assume that it should be empty, and it is currently full of the accumulation of 40 years of use.  Could be wrong (not uncommon).  Should I empty the trap, or should there be fluid in it??  No info I could find in the Blue Book, so hopefully someone here can help.

Regards -- Roger
1966 230SL black 4 speed (250 low compression engine)

al_lieffring

Re: Brake vacuum line condenser/trap
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 11:53:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by rogerh113

Hello,

In replacing the vacuum line from the intake manifold to the brake booster, I found the trap/gas condenser adjacent to the brake booster full of fluid.  I assume that it should be empty, and it is currently full of the accumulation of 40 years of use.  Could be wrong (not uncommon).  Should I empty the trap, or should there be fluid in it??  No info I could find in the Blue Book, so hopefully someone here can help.

Regards -- Roger

Roger

The trap is there to prevent brake fluid from the vacuuim booster from getting into the intake. If there is fluid there it would indicate the master cylinder has been leaking fluid into the booster.

You should replace the master cylinder because the fluid building up can eventually damage the seals in the booster.

Al Lieffring
66 230Sl
Jones'n for a new gas tank

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
Re: Brake vacuum line condenser/trap
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 14:42:11 »
Hello and thanks for the info.  I did replace the brake master several years ago, but never looked at or emptied the trap.  I will empty the trap and monitor for 'new' fluid entering the trap.

Regards -- roger
1966 230SL black 4 speed (250 low compression engine)