Author Topic: AP Industries Bumper Sets - Opinions ?  (Read 2927 times)

TerenceD

AP Industries Bumper Sets - Opinions ?
« on: July 27, 2007, 20:25:07 »
I am unfamiliar with the quality of aftermarket bumpers, but I am suspicious that the vast majority are junk and it is better off replating the ones that I have, but here goes;

There are a series of ads on Ebay advertising replacement front and rear bumpers at about $350 a set.  They are made by AP Industries USA, and the seller claims that they are OEM quality.  

Is anybody out there familiar with these or with this type of thing ?  I would appreciate any and all opinions and recommendations.

They do not have the holes for the overriders (I have an OEM brand new set) but I think it would not be a problem to put the holes in them.  

Thanks,
Terence Dittman

1970 280sl
1969 300SEL 6.3
1985 Innocenti DeTomaso Turbo (and 1984 parts car)

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: AP Industries Bumper Sets - Opinions ?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 08:07:49 »
Hi,
I just bought 2 of these bumper sets because I wanted to get rid of the bumper guards. In the words of my bodyman(I have not seen them yet) "they are pretty good. Not perfect but pretty good."

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 11:17:58 »
I too would like to see a comparision article and photos of many of the companies reproducing after market bumpers for the W113. I now of an English company that has a uniique set of front and rear  bumpers for the W113, but they are repolished stainless steel. However they look out side  and inside like the factory and are said to  be much stronger.
Still it would be nice to compare the competition. I am not set in replating my old bumpers and would rather invest in a suitable well fitting pair with the same or at lease near Mercedes-Benz specifications.
I know I have seen many W113s with front bumpers that donot fit with huge gaps and wonder if they are misaligned or just bad reproductions. I have also heard of the mounting holes on some of these bumpers not being able to except the metric bolts that tie the mounting brackets to the body. Why buy junk ?
The price keeps getting higher for these bumpers and grill and star  and barel, prehaps that is why all the good W113s donot get driven all the time.
Bob Geco
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 11:20:06 by Bob G »

rob walker

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 00:36:38 »
Bob, can you give me details of the English compnay you refer to or PM me, thanks

Rob Walker
1968 280SL papyrus white/green leather
Spain and Turkey

psmith

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 21:42:02 »
Here's a link. http://www.groupharrington.com/shine/pagoda.htm they introduced them to this forum some time back.

Pete S.