Author Topic: Loss of wiper control  (Read 2512 times)

tdun824259

• Regular
  • USA, NE, Grand Island
Loss of wiper control
« on: August 17, 2007, 09:59:12 »
I've read several posts on "seized wipers", but my problem is slightly different.  I pride myself in never driving in rain.  God had other plans.  My wipers worked great for a few miles and then suddenly first the drivers side then the passenger side just fell to the sides of the windshield. (opposite of the park position)  I stopped and was able to move the arms back to the park position without any problem.  Starting the wipers again led to the same issue.  I would expect that the spindle is not engaging the wiper arm rather than a linkage problem.  Anyone encountering this problem, I would appreciate knowing the solution.

Thanks
Tim Dunagan
1971 280 SL

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Loss of wiper control
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 12:10:24 »
Tim,

quote:
I stopped and was able to move the arms back to the park position without any problem. Starting the wipers again led to the same issue. I would expect that the spindle is not engaging the wiper arm rather than a linkage problem. Anyone encountering this problem, I would appreciate knowing the solution.

Its probably just the wiper arms that need tightening on their spindles. The spindles are conical shaped and splined while the arms arm ends are just cone shaped so they can be adjusted as required.
Just 'park' them in the right place and tighten down the nuts at the bottom of the arms.

naj

68 280SL
68 280SL

tdun824259

• Regular
  • USA, NE, Grand Island
Re: Loss of wiper control
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 13:04:26 »
Naj,

thanks so much.  Hopefully, that's all it is.  I'll tighten the nut tonight.

Tim Dunagan
1971 280 SL