Author Topic: Search for the last plate number  (Read 3167 times)

Marco Lopes

Search for the last plate number
« on: April 05, 2010, 17:21:41 »
Hi,

I bought a Mercedes Benz in Germany, 230 SL 1964 (VIN 11304212001550). It’s a car with a Wisconsin Certificate of Title.

To complete de legalization process in Portugal it’s necessary to have de last plate number in US. How can I obtain to I proof to de Portuguese authorities the last plate number?

What is the normal procedure to obtaining this information?

Marco Lopes
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 17:25:44 by Marco Lopes »

RickM

Re: Search for the last plate number
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 18:05:45 »
Marco:

If an old registration card is in the car it may have the plate # on it.

Otherwise, this is likely where you'll have to call or Email to get the requesting info: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/records.htm

Looks like you can copy and paste your request in an Email to them and include the VIN #.

Question:
How will the Portuguese authorities know if you made up a plate #? Will they actually verify with the Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)?

For the record, each state has their own process regarding the DMV.  So, your request may be handled in a completely different manner from one state to another. In fact, the info you request may not be available in all jurisdictions.  

Let us know if you need help.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 19:09:01 »
Deleted the other thread...
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Marco Lopes

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 19:23:52 »
Well,
I tryed but I didn't found in the car.
After I called to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation and they told me "according the federal laws it's not possible give me that information".
The best way I think it's send an official letter to obtain official response from them.

To the Portuguese authorities the only thing they ask it's for give the plate number... I think that they don't go confirm because taxes to Europe were payed in Germany.

There are companies to obtaining this information officialy?

Marco Lopes

hauser

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 19:56:14 »
If by chance they (authorities) want the actual number plate you can have one made.

http://www.licenseplates.tv/wisconsin-191.html?sort=20a&page=3