Author Topic: gear shift stick dropping  (Read 6671 times)

lapisblue

gear shift stick dropping
« on: August 29, 2007, 16:09:36 »
I have a 1969 280SL, 4 speed manual.  The gear shift stick, coming up from the floor well, is dropping.  I can still shift gears, but have to pull up on the stick to get the right leverage. According to my manual, there a sort of ball joint near the bottom of the stick, before you get to the bottom of the stick and the various pins and bushings forming the linkages to the gearbox.  The fact that I can still shift, makes me think that the pins and linkages are not the problem.  Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you fix it? :?:

jeffc280sl

Re: gear shift stick dropping
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 17:08:32 »
Here is a scan of the shifter.  You need to replace the shifter bushings.  Everyone has to do this sooner or later. Do a search on this site for "shifter bushings" and you will find all the info you need.

Download Attachment: shift bushing.jpg
44.2 KB

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 03:45:45 by 280SL71 »

France

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 01:12:55 »
lapisblue,

I'm one of those in the thread.  Do it before your tranny gets stuck in Reverse.  If it does, you can crawl under the car (while someone holds the brake pedal down--don't rely on the hand brake!) and shift it manually, but if you leave the job til later, you can be sure it will happen on a dark rainy night.

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Sarasota FL; Alsace France; Switzerland
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

jsaylor

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 01:59:51 »
Lapis,

Good to do the bushings though they don't have much to do w/ your problem.

My '65 230SL did they same thing.  The plastic plate holding the lower shifter ball assembly simply came loose.  A quick tightening of the four small nuts did the job.  I do recommend replacing your bushings though.

Easy... 8)

Jim Saylor
Kauai, Hawaii
'65 230SL

bjudd

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 16:30:01 »
Mine dropped shortly after purchase two years ago.   Exactly the same as you, I could lift and shift.  Mine was disintegrated shifter bushings.  

Download Attachment: IMG_2725.jpg
28.86 KB

bjudd
1969 280 SL 5 sp

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 05:21:03 »
I also suggest replacing the bushings while you are tightening the plate. It is also not a bad idea to tigten the two rods that hold the shifter in place. Thye are secured foward of the shifter and can be accessed from underneath. Tightening the bolts and replacing the shifter bushings are some of the cheapest improvements you can make.
Ted  1969 280SL 4-speed