Author Topic: Fuel Gauge Question  (Read 7913 times)

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
Fuel Gauge Question
« on: September 14, 2003, 15:14:19 »
My fuel gauge doesn't work at all. Stays on "R", even though there is close to a half tank of fuel. It has never worked for me.
I pulled off the connector to the sensor, in the trunk, and checked voltage. There are three connectors. One is apparently ground, and the others measure 13.8 volts and 7.1 volts, with the ignition key on. I do have continuity between the ground on the cable and the body of the car.
Of course, I'd like to get it working without accessing the guage itself. But then, I am an accomplished dash teareraparter now, and if the gauge itself is bad, there is no option, except carrying a can of gas in the trunk.
Any advice on the next step is appreciated.
Joe

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Fuel Gauge Question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 15:54:34 »
Hello Joe,
Remove the sending unit from the tank. Make sure the float unit is free and not stuck. With ignition on and float plug in place manually move the float by tilting it upward. Observe what happens!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 04:58:57 »
As an aside but still related.
The sender in my early 250sl had been replaced with a new cannister type sender BUT it was too short so that when the tank was half full (or half empty) the gauge was showing empty. This was very disconcerting because I thought I was getting really bad fuel economy.
I bought a second hand sender (AUD $45.00) about 40 mm longer that was out of a W108 car and it works perfectly now.

Bob (Brisbane,Australia)
early 250 SL, RHD
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Ben

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2003, 08:47:29 »
Mine flickers about all over the place. It could vary by 1/3 tank, and only ever reads accuratley when full to the brim ?

Any clews ?

Sorry I cant help with the original question BTW !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor

n/a

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2003, 12:50:06 »
Can you measure voltage at the dash end of the wire or validate continuity on the wires to and from the sender? Could be a break, bad solder joint, short... I'd make sure you were getting the right signals to the guage before replacing it.

My fuel guage jumps around all over the place as well.

Shawn Rock
Philly, PA USA
1968 280 SL 4 speed

Ricardo

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2003, 21:17:55 »
My gauge jumped all over too, until I took the sending unit apart and cleaned all the gunge out. There is a disc on the bottom of the canister that holds the float, and it has a spiral channel that fuel flows through. This was gummed up and once cleaned the gauge works fine.
The foam gasket on the tank around the sending unit may need replacing and if it is crumbled please don't suck up the bits with your shopvac or you and your car may learn to fly....
Ricardo
« Last Edit: September 15, 2003, 21:19:56 by Ricardo »

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2003, 05:16:25 »
Hey Ben,
If you have the original style sender for a 230 sl, it is a completely different design than the cannister for the later cars.
The early design has an external FLOAT connected to the body of the sender by a long wire.

This FLOAT wire causes the internal contact to rub on a coil of resistance wire. This is in the shape of an arc.
You may be able to fix it but it is likely that the resistance wire has worn down and the internal contact is only made when you have a full tank.

There was a discussion of Cannister type fuel senders on the Yahoo site ages ago. I copied some relevant information, here it is

Fuel indicator---- not working

Josep and List,The fuel level sensor can be removed from the fuel tank for cleaning and repairs.  Loosen all the small nuts, and pull the unit up. Replace the cork seal when you re-assemble. I enclose some lines by George Murphy with some comments of mine included. It is valid for all late M-B´s of the sixties, (like W113) and also later models. /Hans in Stockholm""

In the W113 and other M-B, the float in the tank operates both the needle and the "near empty" light. The red reserve light in the dash is turned on by mechanical contacts when the float reaches the bottom of the sending unit.The fuel sender unit is designed as an aluminium tube; inside of it a float rides along a metal rod/shaft. Along this float are also two small resistance wires (actually one wire which forms a "U" in the sending unit) that contact the float.

As the float descends, the resistance wire path gets longer and the resistance increases. (Resistance is ~83 W at bottom and 4 Wat the top.) This is the transducer that sends the signal to the fuel gauge in the instrument panel. When the float touches the bottom, there is a metal contact that connects two wires together. The other wire goes to the low fuel light; when it's connected to ground, the light comes on. The rod that the float runs along provides this ground.

The fuel gauge-sending unit in the tank sometimes gets gunked up in the bottom due to algae or dirt. This can cause both your gauge to read incorrectly and prevent the reserve light from coming on. Clean it, very carefully.

NOTE! Disconnect The Ground Cable From The Battery! A spark around the fuel level sensor opening could cause a nasty surprise...! Once you get the fuel sender unit loosened - Don't Pull It Out Of The Tank Too Fast! it will be filled to some level with fuel that will squirt out the tiny holes in the bottom. Hold the unit above the hole in the fuel tank until it is drained, then using a rag to catch drips, remove it to your workbench.

Carefully unscrew the round plastic "nut" on the bottom of the unit and remove the nut. Slide off the alloy sleeve, being very careful not to damage the two very fine wires along which the float slides. Clean all parts very carefully, then re-assemble and reinstall.

A tiny plastic "maze" at bottom is there in order to dampen fuel flow (prevent indicator from blinking). If one of the wires is broken near the bottom, re-solder it toits lug - you may have to adjust the bottom fitting upward so the wire can be re-soldered. Installation is the reverse of removal, as they say...

Use fuel-proof RTV Silicon to seal the little round nut so it won't come off. You might want to check the actuation of the little red "reserve" light on your dash, via the electrical plug. Connect the battery; turn on the key and jumper the pins on the connector at the sender unit, to see if the red lightby the fuel level needle works. /posted by George Murphy""

Bob (Brisbane,Australia)
early 250 SL, RHD
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2003, 08:24:42 »
Do all of the 113s have the low fuel light?
Joe

n/a

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2003, 09:21:49 »
my 113 (280sl0 1969 has a fuel light on reserve and works fine (up till now and fingers crossed). As a general question to keep a fuel tank indicator (float) working in good condition is it a genrally good practise to fill the tank up totally or could you create problems (in the future) if the tank is nearly always empty?

john j borg

Ben

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2003, 02:07:09 »
Well thanks for that Bob, I'll have to add that to my "to do" list !!

My red light works fine, only ever saw it twice though !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor