Author Topic: Creaky front suspension.......cause ?  (Read 5556 times)

Ben

Creaky front suspension.......cause ?
« on: September 05, 2003, 06:22:40 »
My right front suspension has started to creak, only on the rebound. I only greased it all about 1000 miles ago, possibly less !

Whats the cause and cure ?

Should I remove and clear out the grease nipples, then add some penetrating oil and re-grease the suspension. Or is removal and strip down on the cards ?

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Creaky front suspension.......cause ?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003, 13:25:27 »
A long shot: make sure it's not the exhaust manifold-to-downpipe connection. If this starts to loosen up, it will sound a lot like a metal-to-metal creak on the right-front side. Are you sure all your grease nipples take the grease?

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

n/a

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2003, 20:22:35 »
Ben,
I have a creaking sound coming from the front right corner.
It seems to occur only after the parts are warm; after driving. It creaks when the suspension is deflected as well as driving or standing still while turning the steering wheel.
My mechanic told me that repairing the idler arm bearing (using a rebuild kit) will solve my problem.I checked by getting beneath the car and pulling back and forth on the idler arm and found that I could detect some very slight movement.
I plan to do this work next week and will be able to report on whether or not it is successful.

Regards,
Stan

Ben

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 01:49:36 »
Well I put the car up on stands and removed the various nipples and sprayed some penetrating oil. I left it for a while and then went back and replaced the nipples and greased everything and the noise is now gone !  

Hurray !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor