Author Topic: Archive closing--got your datenblatt???  (Read 4948 times)

France

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
Archive closing--got your datenblatt???
« on: September 18, 2003, 00:08:37 »
As I have not heard an answer to my private email to Cees, I thought I would warn people of something we just learned.  I have no reason to disbelieve it, as it was told us by the Karlsruhe MBZ dealer (western Germany) in person.

I want a set of keys for my 280SL, which has the old 3-key system and only one set.  We went to the dealership, where a nice man told us that we could still get keys, but we would need the datenblatt.  (This is the brown card that came from the factory when your car was turned out for sale.  It includes VIN, body nos., original colours, any factory options, and key codes.  Seems to me it would be pretty vital to have, especially if you wanted to sell on and wished to prove originality of your bits and pieces.)

Well, my car came without a datenblatt (or rather, it came with someone else's Tobacco Brown and nonmatching VIN).  I asked if I could order one, and the dealer kindly informed me that I better hurry, because Stuttgart was going to shut down its archive service at the end of the year, and after that there would be no datenblatt.  And all that's available now is a copy, not the original.

Has anyone heard of this?  Are there a lot of people without one?  Is MBZ going to turn the archive over to MBZ Classic and proceed to rip off its old-model collectors?

When I get back to Sarasota, I'll post the VIN of the datenblatt I do have, and see if it belongs to anyone on this list or is from a long-gone car...

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal/bl leather, auto
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Archive closing--got your datenblatt???
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 02:42:47 »
Trice,
Currently, data card copies are supplied by the Classic Centre. They are photocopies of the original build sheets and some numbers are illegible.
Some dealers think that they to not have access to the Classic Centre records etc.
BTW, you can order a fancy 'Classic Centre' data certificate with all the details on it including your name/address. Costs Euro 100.00
naj

naj
'Kloines Scheisserle'
65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

n/a

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 08:18:05 »
I have a metal card in my glove box. Is this different than the datenblatt (what a cool word).

Shawn Rock
Philly, PA USA
1968 280 SL 4 speed

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2003, 08:21:34 »
Yes, different.  The data cars was thick paper, almost like a business card.  It was about 3 inches high and 7 inches wide.  There were a few dozen fields of data:  factory option codes, paint codes, and numbers for chassis, engine, transmission.  It also had assembly numbers, numbers for the keys/locks, what types of tires you had.  Mind also had front and rear axle numbers and a steering assembly number.

I only have a poor quality photo copy from MB.  Search this site for an address to request it.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
« Last Edit: September 18, 2003, 08:22:27 by rwmastel »
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

Albert-230SL

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2003, 08:45:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by srock

I have a metal card in my glove box. Is this different than the datenblatt (what a cool word).

Shawn Rock

Please find attached a copy of a "data card" (or datenblatt), which people usually receive from the Classic Archive (free), and a picture of the Certificates they are offering at 100 euros (which includes the same data and some additional info, in luxury format).

Regards,

Download Attachment: 230SL data card.jpg
57.31 KB

Download Attachment: Zertifikat.jpg
81.99 KB

Albert de la Torre Chavalera
Barcelona (Catalunya/Spain)
Feb.'64 230 SL Euro 113042-10-002432

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2003, 14:13:21 »
When my door key broke off, I took the pieces to a very basic locksmith shop here in Amsterdam. Not specialized in classic cars mind you. He punched in the number on the key in his computer and then made a perfect key. This amazed me highly - a basic shop in downtown Amsterdam that could make a perfect key with just the number on the key, from his PC. So there's a way to get new keys, without the Datenblatt.
Having said that, it seems like a good idea to request yours from Mr. Dillenberger in Stuttgart before they start charging Euro 100 for the fancy certificate!
Sorry for not getting back to you Trice!

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2003, 18:22:19 »
When I got my car I ordered some steel Merecedes Benz Blanks from Tom Hanson. the keys that I had must of been the orginal I have a relationship with a lock smith who serviced WI Simionson Mercedes-Benz for the longest time until they went to computer cut keys, I had a lot of spare keys made. I am glade to say that all my locks are orginal and match the computer data card I have with my car.
I also went and ordered a classic certificate for my car ,but was disapointed as to the quality of the document and felt a lot of detail was missing compaired to the orginal envoice I have from Stuttgart aknoledgeing the order of my 1968 280SL.
Bob Geco