Author Topic: Window Adjustment  (Read 5697 times)

n/a

Window Adjustment
« on: September 20, 2003, 22:22:58 »
First a comment... the Haynes manual for the 113 is a diappointment, at least compared to other Haynes manuals I've referenced. It's better than nothing, but the exploded views are limited, and steps are vague and incomplete.

It took alot of head scratching to figure out the screw for the inside door handle trim piece was hidden BEHIND the plastic insert which is by no means intuitive in its removal.

Anyway, to the question... once I adjust/align the side window to the A-pillar, how do I adjust the soft top down (no fore/aft) to meet/seal the top rear of the window?

I have a users guide for the soft top coming, but not sure this would be covered there anyway.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Nervious Newbie `68 280sl

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: Window Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2003, 23:48:03 »
The softtop is affixed to the soft top well (on either side, just behind the doorjamb) by means of brackets. These are held in place with two (if I remember correctly) bolts. Loosening the bolts allows you to move the whole frame forward/back. Underneath the brackets you will usually find shim plates - these then determine the height of the soft top. You will have to take off the springs that are attached to the brackets and it takes some fiddling. I believe I've read that it is best to first align the windows to the hardtop, then adjust the soft top to the adjusted windows.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

n/a

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2003, 14:12:38 »
Thanks, Cees.

You were right. Mine had five shims (that seems excessive, doesnt it?), so I removed three and now all is well.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2003, 14:54:39 »
Let us know how your hard top fits when the time comes.  Did it fit well before?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

n/a

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2003, 15:02:51 »
Huh!?! Rodd, are you telling me that the height of the Hardtop is dependent on the shims I removed for the softtop... if so, then I may be chasing my tail.

The top is stored in the rafters right now, so maybe after the snow flies and I need something to do...

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2003, 16:07:41 »
Brian,
   The hard top is not adjustable. My understanding of the proper procedure is that first you align the windows with the hardtop on. This is accomplished using the adjustments inside the door. Once you have a tight fit with the hardtop on, then it is time to start playing with the shims and the bolts at the rear of the soft top. The soft top adjustments will not have any effect on the hardtop fit.
Ted
'69 280SL

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2003, 18:18:41 »
Cees said:
quote:
I believe I've read that it is best to first align the windows to the hardtop, then adjust the soft top to the adjusted windows.

Ted's comment goes along with this.  I have heard this procedure as well.  I have been in one door once to replace a window guide (attached to glass, slides up/down in window track).  There are several adjustments in the window lift mechanism.  I am waiting to do any adjustments until I get new rubber window seals on the hard top as the current is disformed from heat or something.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"