Author Topic: Convertible Top Cover trim  (Read 3516 times)

n/a

Convertible Top Cover trim
« on: September 22, 2003, 09:20:38 »
Our convertible top covers have a two part chrome trim that runs along the back edge. It consists of 2 "C" shaped pieces. After re-chroming mine, I noticed that the parts book shows a metal and/or rubber piece that fits between the chrome trim and body.

Does everyone use this piece, Since mine never had it, I am not sure the last owner just didn't want to bother with it, or does your chrome trim just attach directly to the body?

ted280sl

• Silver
  • USA, NY, New Rochelle
Re: Convertible Top Cover trim
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2003, 16:01:42 »
The Chrome trim on the back edge of the convertible top cover is held on with special square headed bolts which ride in a groove o the reverse side of the chrome. I recently ordera complete replacement set of the bolts with special nuts from Ray at SL Classics. There is also a center chrome part with a hole in it for the convertible top locking pin. My chrome seems to be original and it does have rubber on the reverse side. I suspect that when you had yours re-chromed that he rubber would have melted away. I hope this information helps.
Ted
'69 280SL

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Convertible Top Cover trim
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2003, 18:13:17 »
I recently replace my screws for this chrome as well.  I removed it to polish the chrome and clean the paint on the soft top lid.  My chrome did have a rubber strip below it.  I looked at my 230SL parts book and I believe it shows this part, but I can't sort out the descriptions of all the trim, moulding, and gaskets listed to know the part number.  Also, there are rubber washers (2 types) that go with the special bolts to keep water from getting into the lid.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"