Author Topic: Nomenclature for lights  (Read 8374 times)

n/a

Nomenclature for lights
« on: September 26, 2003, 14:47:38 »
While reading and searching info about the 113, I find myself abit confused by (among other things) the various references/names/uses for their lights:

Headlight... got it, large and round, and in the top of the cluster.

Signal... hmmm, a cresent shaped sliver in the top of the Euro cluster, and a sorta square shaped at the very bottom of the US cluster. (Aka Blinker)

Parking... Steady when switched on. It's the rectangular portion between the headlight and the signal light on US. Same on Euro?

Repeater... different from a signal/blinker, and found on the front fenders (wings) of 1969+ US models.

Fog... in the middle of the cluster somewhere? Standard regardless of Euro/US? Switched by pulling outward on the headlight switch.

Auxilary... Driving (clear lens) or Fog (amber/yellow lens), mounted remotely on the front bumper.

Running... same as running light? Different on Euro?

Clearance/Standing... hmmm, same as parking/running, or a dimmed filiment on the headlight with Euro?Switchable only left or right depending on what side of the road you're standing (parking)?

Emergency... is this the highbeam flasher feature on the signal stalk or the use of both signal lamps when the red dash knob is pulled?

Am I close? Are there more I missed when considering the front of the car?

Not so Nervious (anymore) Newbie `68 280sl

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Nomenclature for lights
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2003, 16:06:48 »
I would alter a couple notions:

On the Euro: the set up goes like this (from the top down)...

Turn signal bulb
Main Lamp bulb
Parking Light (small guy right below main -- I think 2W)

Clearance Light* (3W) & Fog Light** (35W) next to each other at bottom

* Clearance light was the overnighter on narrow Euro streets.
** Fog lights come on when you pull out light knob.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

n/a

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 21:50:45 »
I edited my original post based on feedback so far. There are still some question marks to be answered.

Particularly, were integral FOG LIGHTS standard? Are they really a Fog lamp, or just another name for the running light? My light switch on the dash pulls outward as if to light something, but nothing lights up!!! Bad connection? Missing feature?

Also, my wifes 107 has two positions when rotating the light switch counter clockwise... I assume for the Euro standing light feature. Were the 280sl so equipped? My 68 113 has no such positions.

Not so Nervious (anymore) Newbie `68 280sl

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2003, 02:03:42 »
JH,
Shouldn't the clearance light be called the parking light?
In UK we also refer to the parking lights as side lights!!
naj

'Kloines Scheisserle'
65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2003, 11:59:45 »
Hey Naj -- you make a good point. Parking lights & clearance lights seem one in the same.

However, according to my manual (for a LHD euro) the lower ones are the clearance lights. They come on by switching counter clockwise from center. The smallish bulb below the main bulb comes on when you switch clockwise once (again this is LHD!)... I suppose you could call these running lights or parking lights -- not sure when you would only use these except maybe to maybe see while parked??

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2003, 15:00:27 »
Hi Brian,
The "Side Marker" lights only come ON when the ignition is turned OFF.
The "Parking Lights" work any time, ignition ON or OFF

The boot light only comes ON when the headlights and parkers are ON.

The FOG lights were not connected in the USA cars but the wiring is there and can be connected.
The high beam flasher feature was also not connected in USA cars.
There have been many discussions about this in the past. Do a search of the site.

Bob (Brisbane,Australia)
early 250 SL, RHD
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Bob G ✝︎

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2003, 17:49:30 »
Starting with the 230SL to the 1968 280SL USA versions did have or should have a bottom fog light bulb in the light cluster unite. Also if you turn the light switch too the left one to two clicks right & left parking light will come on this is a feather for dark road parking in Europe. In 1969 MBZ stopped producing the bottom fog lamp on 280SL models and switched light unites to bottom all amber to blen in with the turn indicators.
European Headlight unites came in two forms H-4 and H1 twin bulb. Flat lens and convex lens. Flash to pass was a wire not hocked up for the USA market but thankfully MBZ left the wire unatached to hook up later to the flasher combi switch.
Rear taillights while mostly all read until later 1969 when USA cars received a separate lens and bezel assembly Euro models depending on country they where sent to received either all read lenses or red with amber cap end these where for countries like England and Italy also an optional rear fog lamp from Bosch was availible.
Bob Geco
« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 17:55:22 by Bob G »