Author Topic: Planned Engine Rebuild  (Read 24280 times)

glennard

Re: Planned Engine Rebuild
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 07:07:29 »
Guys, Excellent discussion!!  Seems we all enjoy the Pagoda experience- each in our own unique way.  Beyond that, the roads have many turns.  Most seem not driven to the internals of the machines-ride and enjoy.   Others want to get dirty and 'make em run'.  
    I 'fall' into the category of those who want to revive a bucket of rust and crud into a running machine-not neccessarily 'pretty', but starting and rolling.   I want to mostly do it myself, spending as little dollars as possible, time is a little more available.  Part of this is getting as much advice from you all and others as possible.  Cost/benefit, etc -yes, all of it.  It is a learning process, fun, expanding one's knowledge, pride, failures, the whole thing.  Each of approaches to our Pagoda(s) reflect our individual approaches to life.  Look around Blacklick and other venues and equate owners and cars.  You can match  cars and owners after short evaluation of each.

Remember, any one can drive a new car.  Takes a little something else to drive a 40 year old one!

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 09:40:04 »
Mark,
"Reading and learning" is the key.  When I was a teen-ager, I rebuilt a VW engine, a Chevy 283, a Chevy 327, and did some major work on a MoPar 318.  That was well over 30 years before I tried another engine.  I rebuilt my M130 engine in my garage.  The moment it started and ran was one of the most rewarding and joyful experiences of my life.  I can still remember the feeling and the neighbors still remember hearing me.

I cheated on the cylinder head and found an experienced retired MB mechanic to help me.  I did the bottom end by myself with advice from him and this forum.  The big mistake I made was buying a bum donor engine from Star Quality.  (I'll never do business with them again.)  Even without that financial mistake, I would have saved less than $1,000 off of a Metric or Noel's rebuild.  If I were paying for my labor, it would have been much cheaper to go with a re-man.

I used all new parts, including new valves, pistons, gears, etc.  There were a few important tricks that I got from the pros.  Like, how to trim the crank seals, and being sure to pump up the oil in the timing chain tensioner.  It was a great, rewarding experience.  If my engine blew up tomorrow, I would not regret having done it myself, but this time, I would buy the finished product from Metric or Noel's.  

Also, look at your timeline.  Decide how soon you need to do this.  When do you think you'll be far enough along with the body to put the engine in?  It sounds as if you have hundreds of hours of body work to do.  Would it make sense to finish the body and then do the engine when the body goes to the paint shop?  A rebuilt engine doesn't get better waiting for months on the engine stand.  

With my limited experience, (and probably you too) the DIY process is a gamble and doesn't save much money.  However, I get to feel good every time someone is amazed I did it myself.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

mkbull

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 15:11:41 »
Hi Ray/Glennard
Vey good points!
Interesting what you say Ray as I had just reached that same decision a day or so ago - after all this discussion I decided I would just let the engine sit in its parts bin for a bit longer whilst I switch my attention to the bodywork. I have everything bagged up and lots of photos - So there is no real great advantage in making final decisions or completing the engine right now. I checked the thickness/flatness of the Cylinder Head and found it to be exactly as original spec ie. no signs of warpage or previous skims.

Onwards with the bodywork.....
blasting/priming booked for Tuesday.. :)  :)

Anyway thanks for the ongoing interest and I surely will post some follow ups and pictures of the body progress on the appropriate forum.

Mark

glennard

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 11:03:52 »
Guys, Here's a possible plan of attack for the what comes first question-engine or body?.  Obviously, the body work can't be done with the engine in.  So, while the body when,how,why is resolved, I'm considering spending a couple hours building a wooden(plywood, 2x4s, etc) platform for the engine, tranny, radiator, fuel pump, gas tank, battery, exhaust, instrument panel, etc.  Then the whole system can be run and tested.  If everything is OK,----------