Author Topic: Oil cooler hose  (Read 3049 times)

Bob G ✝︎

Oil cooler hose
« on: October 07, 2003, 12:26:41 »
Does someone now what size wrench or tool is needed to undue the high preasure oil cooler line that comes accross the battery on models 280SL?

I was able to undue the top with a cresent wrench but the bottom is in a very tight place beside the power steering reservior and I think a special attachment 1/4 inch will be fessible with a rachet to loosen it.

Bob Geco

George Davis

Re: Oil cooler hose
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2003, 12:58:09 »
Bob, I replaced these hoses last winter, the lower oil cooler hose is hard to get to unless you remove a few other things.  Even then it's not easy.  However, I believe it's actually easiest to remove the entire oil line from the oil filter to the cooler.  In other words, remove the metal pipe plus the hose as a unit.

Once the combination is out, it will be easy to disconnect the hose and replace it.  Reinstall them loosely, with the hose to pipe connection loose so you can position it properly; then snug up the hose to pipe nut so it can't shift; then remove the whole thing again and fully tighten the hose to pipe nut; then reinstall the whole thing and tighten up the end connections.

Good luck with it.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual