Author Topic: Air Conditioning, Value and Efficiency  (Read 4703 times)

perezduque

Air Conditioning, Value and Efficiency
« on: March 16, 2011, 21:21:01 »
When comparing two similar 280 SLs, one with and the other without A/C, how much of  a difference does it make in value?  and, second question, how much does the A/C actually cool in a tropical climate such as that of South Florida?  Please advise, and thanks.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 09:36:00 by 280SL71 »

DavidBrough

Re: Air Conditioning
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 12:28:36 »
I think the value is in whether you want it or not, I do so I would actually pay more for it but that would still come second to the overall condition of the car as it's not overly expensive or difficult to fit. On the other hand if you didn't want it then it becomes a real liability as taking it out will leave fitting holes and marks. Can't comment on a tropical climate but it works very well in the UK which can occasionally get quite warm!

71Beige280SL

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, OH, Madeira
  • 1971 280 SL
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 16:30:30 »
Properly serviced (really important), it works very well. The passenger compartment is sufficiently small that it doesn't take much to cool it down. I would think, living in Miami, something is better than nothing.  :)
- 1971 280SL Beige/Cognac Leather
- 2024 Mercedes GLE 350
- 2023 AMG C43 Cabriolet

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 02:19:08 »
There are a couple of modifications that have been discussed here. A Spal blower and a parallel flow condensor along with a  Sanden compressor will bring the system pretty close to modern standards.  With labor and new hoses(might as well) you will probably spend about $2500 but the system should be good for a long time.

I am guessing the AC would add about $2000 to the value. 

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: Air Conditioning, Value and Efficiency
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 12:45:02 »
Perez,
I live in Jacksonville and will tell you that if you want to use the car 9 months of the year, you will definately want the A/C.  Think about our Florida summers with 99% humidity. The original set-up keeps the driver tolerably cool because all the cold air dumps on the passenger.  I replaced the York compressor with the Sanden 508 and a higher efficiency condenser and in July I can keep lettuce fresh.  BK has to cover her legs to keep from freezing. 

There is a good post on the site, (somewhere) about a baffle that can be added to the vent housiing to distribute air to the driver.  I'm going to be doing that next month. 

If you plan to drive the car in Florida, in the summer, you'll think $2000 was a bargain.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe