Author Topic: Wiper Switch / Turn Signal  (Read 12970 times)

bpossel

Wiper Switch / Turn Signal
« on: July 18, 2004, 16:39:18 »
Hi All,

1971 280SL.  Flushed radiator today, and the temp now holds at a nice 180-190 even in the hot Memphis (stop and go) traffic.  Huraah!

Well ... I couldnt stop there.  Wanted to keep bringing my car to "perfect condition"..  I should have stopped!  Anyway, in the process of trying to fix my wiper switch, it fell apart in my hands into a thousand pieces.  The turn signal stalk is still there and working, just the black switch fell apart in my hands (literally, a thousand pieces...)

Where is the best/cheapeat place to buy one?  Can you buy just the black switch, or do you have to buy the entire stalk?

Help!  Thanks all!
Bob

bpossel
1971 280SL
Automatic, Light Beige, Cognac
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 16:40:52 by bpossel »

hauser

Re: Wiper Switch / Turn Signal
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 17:45:15 »
Adsit Company sells these for your car about 500.00 U.S.D. 10% if you order on the web plus shipping. I would shop around go to the links section and start calling or emailing to get a price. What a way to ruin your day!  :(

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

dldubois

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Pembroke Pines
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 18:55:13 »
I agree.  You're going to have to replace the entire stalk.

Dana

1970 280sl White (050) 4spd
Corinth, TX
Dana DuBois
1969 280sl
Pembroke Pines, FL

n/a

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 08:27:14 »
Whatever you do, don't throw away the old one. It would be very useful for someone rebuilding one. I'm sure someone would snatch it up if you made it available to the community ... for a price! Might help offset the expense of the replacement.

Shawn Rock
Philly, PA USA
1968 280 SL 4 speed

bpossel

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 06:02:03 »
Thanks All!

Shopping around helps, especially in this case.  Why these turn signal stalks are so expensive is beyond me!  The lowest price I found (new) was $405 from Rusty (parts.mbz.org).  The highest price quoted was $510.  I did locate one place that would sell me a used one, but I guess if it lasts another 33 years, then 400 isnt too bad.  Wait until my wife gets the credit card bill.....
Bob

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 06:04:05 by bpossel »

Douglas

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 08:27:11 »
I wonder if you can repair the old stalk using donor parts from another Mercedes that uses a similar stalk like a W114. (Even those are getting pricier these days, but not like a 113 part.) At $400-$500+ a pop, it may be worth a try just to have a spare.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

bpossel

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 11:38:26 »
Shawn, are you interested in the old stalk after I get the new one installed?  If not, I'll post in the "for sale" area.
Regards,
Bob

quote:
Originally posted by srock

Whatever you do, don't throw away the old one. It would be very useful for someone rebuilding one. I'm sure someone would snatch it up if you made it available to the community ... for a price! Might help offset the expense of the replacement.

Shawn Rock
Philly, PA USA
1968 280 SL 4 speed

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL

n/a

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 12:10:07 »
I just successfully rebuilt mine, so I don't need it. I would assume someone out there does.

Tell me about your radiator flush? I need to do the same. Did you do it yourself? What was the process? What did you use? I have the MB citric acid degreaser which I intend to use. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. I also have a new radiator and fan clutch that need to go in, but wanted to flush first.

Thanks.

Shawn Rock
Philly, PA USA
1968 280 SL 4 speed

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 12:57:00 »
quote:

Tell me about your radiator flush.

Shawn,
Someone posted a document as an attachment that describes the whole thing.  Do a search.

Saved you the time:
http://index.php?topic=1576

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 13:00:49 by rwmastel »
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL auto "Italian"

bpossel

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 13:02:58 »
Shawn, Rodd has pointed you to the document "how to backflush a 113".  This is the document that I used and the procedure that I followed.  Let me explain how my backflush went...

I followed the procedure, however, I purchased a 6 foot section of radiator hose, connecting it to the heater outlet (copper end fitting) on the left side firewall.  I routed this out and away from the car so that I wouldnt splash radiator fluid on the car. I also disconnected the lower radiator hose from the radiator, as opposed to using the radiator drain plug.  I was affraid that I would not be able to get this back in and have leaks...  The procedure/document for the backflush went well, with some exceptions...  Where I had some trouble was in refilling.  I ended up sticking a funnel into the radiator hose end that would normally connects into the heater outlet (left side firewall).  Other end of this hose still connected to the engine.  Anyway the procedure calls for filling with new fluid until it starts to pour out of the heater outlet connection, left side firewall.  This worked.  Then I followed the procedure and disconnected the hose that connects to the fuel injector.  The procedure said to then continue to fill until fluid comes out of the end of hose just disconnected from the fuel injector. This is supposed to ensure all air is out.  Well, I continued to fill and the fluid never came out of the fuel injector hose...  So I stopped, reconnected all hoses and started the car up. While my car is holding a good temp., I am still not sure all of the air is out.
I wish I knew how to "burp" her, and let any air out that might be in there.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?  Good luck!
Bob

quote:
Originally posted by rwmastel

quote:

Tell me about your radiator flush.

Shawn,
Someone posted a document as an attachment that describes the whole thing.  Do a search.

Saved you the time:
http://index.php?topic=1576

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 13:19:56 by bpossel »

pagode.info

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2004, 00:00:52 »
The cheapest offer for a new original
MB-combination switch can be found on
www.pagodenteile.de/14.htm and also
on www.pagodenteile.de/21.htm (German
language only).

320.-- € incl VAT = 275,87 € Export.

New orig. parts, but disatvantage:

"im Tausch" means, that the defected
old part has to be sent back. Well
known service in Germany since 1992,
but don`t know if this may be interes-
ting for customers from far away.
(Shipping costs).

Tom

www.pagode.info

A Dalton

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2004, 08:03:41 »
[

Tom

www.pagode.info
[/quote]

Tom
 Is there an English version of your site??
Tnx

hauser

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2004, 16:46:38 »
Sice we are on this subject.  Has anyone restored the cosmetics on their turn signal?  I was wondering how to brighten up the white markings.  Seems it would be a simple operation, apply the paint and wipe off the excess.  What type of paint should I use?

pagode.info

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2004, 00:00:59 »
Hello Hauser,
try "Tipp Ex" (Type writer correction
fluid). It works !!!

Hello A Dalton,
my info-page is german language only.
Search engine translation services may
work (partly).

Tom.  

hauser

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2004, 00:56:12 »
Is this the same as liquid paper?  A black and white bottle with a brush attached to the cap??

pagode.info

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2004, 05:16:24 »
Yes :-)

The german name is "Tipp Ex", but the label
on the small plastic bottle says "made in
USA". Don`t know it`s name in the US.

Bright white and easy to wipe off from the
areas around the markings.

Tom

beckpm

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2004, 16:42:54 »
I bought one of these turn-signal multi-switches a while back after the tape and glue finally gave out on the old one.  It hurt to pay almost $500 to get the part and some more to have it installed.  I notice that on the left turn - it does not return to neutral and stop blinking after the turn.  It works on the right turn?  Do you think the part was defective, or was there something special that was suppost to be done when it was installed?  Peter

Peter

bpossel

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2004, 17:21:40 »
Hi Peter

I bought mine new, and installed it with no problem.  The turn signal works good.  It automatically turns off after turning left or right.  When I use it to signal a lane change, it sometimes is hard to manually cancel it.  I just figure that being new, it may need to wear in.

I think something is wrong with yours.  I would take it back...

Good Luck!
Bob

quote:
Originally posted by beckpm

I bought one of these turn-signal multi-switches a while back after the tape and glue finally gave out on the old one.  It hurt to pay almost $500 to get the part and some more to have it installed.  I notice that on the left turn - it does not return to neutral and stop blinking after the turn.  It works on the right turn?  Do you think the part was defective, or was there something special that was suppost to be done when it was installed?  Peter

Peter

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320
« Last Edit: December 19, 2004, 17:22:57 by bpossel »

beckpm

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2004, 20:29:16 »
Thanks - I think it is defective and will investigate getting another one.  Peter

quote:
Originally posted by bpossel

Hi Peter

I bought mine new, and installed it with no problem.  The turn signal works good.  It automatically turns off after turning left or right.  When I use it to signal a lane change, it sometimes is hard to manually cancel it.  I just figure that being new, it may need to wear in.

I think something is wrong with yours.  I would take it back...

Good Luck!
Bob

quote:
Originally posted by beckpm

Peter

bpossel
Memphis, TN.
1971 280SL
1997 E320

Peter