Author Topic: Fuel pump conversion  (Read 4303 times)

tempur

Fuel pump conversion
« on: June 16, 2008, 01:16:07 »
Dear Pagoda friends,
The fuel pump on my '65 230SL (tall version) started leaking and will have to be replaced.  The only one that is available new, however,is the later version.  As a general rule, I go for originality above anything else but hesitate taking the risk installing a used or rebuilt fuel pump if a new one is available.
A few questions to ease my mind (and conscience):
When did MBZ replace fuel pumps on its Pagodas?
How much intervention is needed for the later fuel pump to fit (can it still be undone without showing too much)?
What about the protective drum; does it, too, need to be changed?
Thanks for your help and best regards,
Tempur
1965 230SL
1968 280SE/C
1995 E280T

George Des

Re: Fuel pump conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 04:16:05 »
Tempur,

For the 230SL, the fuel pump exchange is pretty much a direct exchange. The top portion of the original pump bracket is still used and an interface bracket is used to attach the newer style pump to the bracket. I've seen some where they attach the new interface bracket directly to the car frame as well. In either case, the protective cover for the older pump will not fit due to the arrangement of the hoses. In order to be used, it would have to be cut to allow the hoses to pass through, or you would have to find a cover designed for the newer pump. When using the newer pump to replace an older pump on a 250 or 280, there is an additional hose that must be fitted with a tee fitting to the small bleed fitting on the pump--the one closed off with a small screw. Not sure exactly when the pumps changed over, but unless there is a stash of these older pump somewhere in the "National Re-doubt", new, old style pumps are NLA. Hope this helps

George Des

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 04:52:34 »
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

glennard

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 05:24:21 »
The 111 Coupes have a square-ish box around the pump.  Will that work for you?

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 07:58:21 »
Hello,

I got a rebuilt long body pump from Star Motors (www.300sel.com) last year for my '66.  The rebuilt pump looked great and has run flawlessly since.  They sent me the rebuilt, and I returned my old pump for core refund - very easy.  Good solution if you want to retain originality (and the old can, which seems to provide additional protection to the pump....)

Regards -- Roger
1966 230SL black 4 speed (250 low compression engine)