Author Topic: Brake Force Regulator  (Read 3329 times)

bpossel

Brake Force Regulator
« on: August 11, 2008, 06:01:44 »
I am starting to put fluids back in the car after the restoration.  Yesterday I installed new brake fluid and could not get rears to bleed.  Before I installed the lines, I blew out all lines with the air compressor, so I know they were clear.

Anyway, I loosened the main line at the brake regulator and fluid came out.  I loosened the lines that run from the regulator to each rear brake and they were dry!

So, looks like my regulator failed?  I tried taping on it to see if maybe it was simply stuck after sitting for 10 months.  No luck.  So I have ordered a new one.

Question..  with all I have read on our posts about these units...  they never seem to fail...?  Any idea what may have happened to mine?  I was very careful when I removed it 10 months ago, blew out the fluid, plugged the holes and stored in a plastic baggie....  so not sure what could have happened to it?

Is this old unit fixable?  Thought I would do a post for others since these never seem to fail, stick...

Thanks!
Bob

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: Brake Force Regulator
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 19:22:05 »
Bob,
In my 30 odd years of messing with European cars Most of it professionally I have replaced exactly 1 of those valves. I am guessing that pushing compressed air through it might be the culprit. As strange as it seems it might have been better to leave it wet.

You might try blowing air through the various ports and see if you can free it up.

I bet the new one wasn't a bargain.

For future reference for anyone who might read this Ate make a racing fluid that is blue in color called Super Blue as well as one that is Amber called Super Amber. The great thing about these is that when you flush your fluid every 2 years you alternate between colors and when you bleed ot out you can tell when you have removed all the old fluid.

Regards,
Pat