Author Topic: Gas mileage problem?  (Read 3550 times)

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
Gas mileage problem?
« on: July 20, 2008, 19:12:35 »
This week, I made a round trip to another Colorado town 250 miles diatant. It was a pleasant, top-down trip through the high desert, roughly 8000 feet above sea level. On the way down, I tested the car out somewhat, and got up to probably 100 mph, but just stayed with (fast) traffic most of the time. On the return trip, it was dark and rained more than half the time, so I had the top up and drove much slower, probably about 60 mph. One has to keep a sharp eye out for deer in these places, too.
The car is a 1965 230SL with a 280SL engine, and manual transmission. I don't yet know the rear axle ratio, but if the tach is right, it is a different rear end, because I was cruising at about 3200 rpm. As I have posted before, the speedo is erratic, so I never knew exactly how fast I was going.
Now the "problem": On the first trip, it took 10.2 gallons of regular gas to go the 250 miles. On the return, it took 10.9 gallons. The car ran strongly but I am wondering if something is out of adjustment, like perhaps it is running too lean. I've not heard of a pagoda achieving this kind of fuel economy.
I'm not complaining, though!
The car is difficult to start when the engine is warm. When it is cold, it starts easily. A common problem, I know, and maybe related to the economy "problem"?
Joe

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: Gas mileage problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 19:38:15 »
If your speedometer is erratic, wouldn't your odometer be unreliable?

Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Joe

• Silver
  • USA, CO, Colorado Springs
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 22:31:10 »
Oddly enough, the odometer seemed to be accurate. Anyway, I knew the distance between the towns to be 250 miles. I double checked it with Mapquest, too, just to be sure.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 08:55:45 »
If I did the math correctly, you are talking about 24-25 mpg? I don't think that is unheard of for highway mileage. I am at more like 14-17 these days (in town), but have seen your numbers before on long trips...

I guess what I mean to say is, enjoy it when ya can!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:12:19 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 10:36:37 »
Joe,
Good mileage there for your 1965 230.
Did you check your trunk for a stowaway?  Might be extra weight in the back there.
Smile!
Walter
1967 220SL-diesel

glennard

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 09:34:34 »
The 250SE manuals have 'fuel consumption' curves showing 25 mpg at 50 or so mph.  The 111 250SEs are alot heavier than the 113 250SLs, so should get better gas mileage.  

On your trouble with hot start--might be too rich on hot starting.  Try disconnecting the CSV(on the common intake manifold) wires and the 'Start' solenoid(on the back of the FI pump) wires.  Do this alternately and/or together.  This will reduce the amount of fuel being dumped into the intake manifold(s).