Author Topic: who has the best new wood set to purchase?  (Read 9091 times)

james

who has the best new wood set to purchase?
« on: July 27, 2008, 18:06:27 »
I am looking to replace the wood on the dash of my 230sl. I have seen one's advertize on ebay? But where is the best wood set for the best price?
Jim

Douglas

Re: who has the best new wood set to purchase?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 22:28:58 »
heritagewoodworks.com

Great product. Very knowledgeable restoration shop.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:24:50 »
I don't think that there is one correct answer to this question.  MB will tell you that their wood set is the most correct -- I don't know their price.  Various people like Heritage.  My observation is that Heritage _used_ to use the exact same photo for their product as the photo used by other eBay vendors, as well as the same description, but the price was about $300 more.   If you are talking about buying a set of wood (rather than having yours restored) keep in mind that Heritage buys theirs from someone in Germany, as do other eBay vendors.  Heritage does have a good reputation.  I would be interesting in knowing the price that MB wants from the classic center -- it's one of the few items that I have not yet asked about.   Also, when you say you want the dash wood, do you also need the center console wood and the hardtop rear window surround wood?
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

loizou

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 09:45:04 »
i recently bought a new wood set including center console from SLS and also managed a 10% discount. the wood seems to be of a high standard of finish and is in the correct matt/satin finish. 8)

james

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:31:15 »
I really don't need the center concole part replaced. Just the dash and speecher part.
I have talked to Heritage and they are now saying that it would be $1200.00 to replace them. They would redo mine for about $450.00.
I really don't know what to do now.
As you can see some folks like Heritage and some don't. Has anyone purchased he Ebay one's?
Jim

Douglas

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 11:59:41 »
I wasn't impressed by the wood that Mercedes was selling a few years back. The examples I saw didn't have the correct finish. Heritage had a much better product.

bogeyman

• Silver
  • USA, NE, Omaha
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 12:15:15 »
Jim:
  My experience has been that you will be better off overall if you can have your original wood reveneered. The refitting of your original wood will be much easier than to start over with all new. Check with Heritage - their results amazed me from where I started.

Rick
Rick Bogart
1970 280SL Black(040)/Parchment
1969 280SL Silver(180)/Green
1993 500E
1972 350SL
1995 E320 Cabrio

Douglas

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 12:32:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by bogeyman

Jim:
  My experience has been that you will be better off overall if you can have your original wood reveneered. The refitting of your original wood will be much easier than to start over with all new. Check with Heritage - their results amazed me from where I started.

Rick

Rick is exactly right. Even aside from the accuracy of the finish, fitting new wood can be an issue. I've seen new wood that didn't fit properly on many Pagodas.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 15:08:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by james

I really don't need the center concole part replaced. Just the dash and speecher part.
I have talked to Heritage and they are now saying that it would be $1200.00 to replace them. They would redo mine for about $450.00.
I really don't know what to do now.
As you can see some folks like Heritage and some don't. Has anyone purchased he Ebay one's?
Jim

That's very interesting.  The $1200 price is about $400 higher than I was quoted a few months ago.  But my point is still that Heritage was buying the wood kits already done from the same place in Germany as other vendors.  Regarding having your existing wood re-finished, I think everyone pretty much agrees that Heritage is a good place to have that done.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Mark in KS

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 20:48:45 »
I vote with Rick.  Have Heritage reveneer your old trim.  They did mine (after I sanded through and ruined them) 5 years ago.  Top quality finish and I knew they would fit back into my car!

Mark

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 10:31:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mark in KS

I vote with Rick.  Have Heritage reveneer your old trim.  They did mine (after I sanded through and ruined them) 5 years ago.  Top quality finish and I knew they would fit back into my car!

Mark

How do they do the speaker grill?
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Paddy_Crow

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 17:23:32 »
I bought my replacement set from Heritage for about $680. It is a good set and looks 1000X better than what I took out. I opted to replace mine because my old set was badly beaten up with sections completely gone. I would probably have it re-veneered if I had it to do over again, the replacement set doesn't fit great on the driver's side. I'm not that concerned, it looks presentable and I bought the car to drive, not to show.

I don't know what to make of the price discrepancy, perhaps he can't get any more of the sets like I bought and only has ones that he has rebuilt from trades.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 17:25:07 by Paddy_Crow »

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 18:10:29 »
Just to add another experience: I went with the unfinished 2-piece set from the original StarQuality (linearly Ray of Bud's Benz now). I stained and varnished it myself to match my speaker and console which were in decent shape. It fit with only minor sanding in one corner. $285 in 1998 -- surely a bit more now. I think it looks pretty good -- even 10 years later. Again maybe not show quality but as good as any driver wood needs to be. For concours, go Heritage.
James
63 230SL

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 20:05:44 »
I bought a beautiful set of K & K wood at the auction in Blacklick.  If you are going with new, I would recommend them.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 19:07:11 »
James,
Are your wood bows and center box in good condition, just needing refinishing?  If you only need refinishing, I have done some in the past.  Would do a really great job for a lot less then buying new wood.
Bob
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 21:23:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by scoot
 ... How do they do the speaker grill?

By refinishing/replacing the solid spars and recovering the body with new veneer which is pressed on by vacuum.
Here is a good primer:
http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/getting-started.htm
But I am sure that zoegrlh could tell you more details.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

james

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 16:12:10 »
thanks everyone for all your help. I will pull mine out this winter and refinish them myself. I just need to get a better speaker wood.
mine is warpped and a little split on one of ribs.
Maybe heratige can help me on this item or ebay
thanks again.
Jim

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas