Author Topic: Spark plug  (Read 3841 times)

shaf

Spark plug
« on: August 16, 2008, 02:10:49 »
Hi All

I live in dubai now, recently purchased 280 sl from the forum. It was Jim 280sl, I was driving in the evening when the spark plug poped out of the engine block I try replacing with the new one but the area is loose with out any thread I could manage to get one thread and then when I fire the engine it just pops out with the lead. can any one advise I have been told to drill the block and put a sleave with new threads.

Shaf

jacovdw

Re: Spark plug
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 04:41:09 »
Sounds like stripped threads to me.

A good automotive repair shop should be able to insert a HeliCoil to repair the thread. Maybe others would be able to add more.

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 05:31:44 »
shaf,

have a look at this topic around 25th July 2007

http://index.php?topic=5639

Talk to Max Motors in Dubai. He can fix it for you, I think.

naj
68 280SL

nirmal

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 02:46:11 »
Shaf

Contact Mr Vijay at Max Garage-Al Quoz,telephone:04 3408200.

Nirmal
69 280 White sl

graphic66

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 07:27:46 »
Pretty easy repair on these cars. Get a Helicoil spark plug repair kit, easy to find at your auto supply store. When doing the job coat the cutting tool with grease to catch the metal chips.I have also read where you hook a shop vac reversed to blow into the exhaust and turn the engine until the exhaust valve is open on the cylinder being repaired so air is rushing out of the spark plug hole. I have never done that. Just follow the directions on your kit and make sure to put some red loctite on the insert before putting it in. You must also make sure the hole is perfectly clean and also clean the new helicoil with solvent like brakekleen or the best is to use loctite primer after you have completely cleaned your helicoil and new threaded hole. Right after cutting the threads I unhook the coil and turn over the engine with the starter to blow the cylinder out, then I hook up the coil and start the car with the one plug still out to really blow it out good, then proceed with your cleaning. This is not the way some would recommend, some would require the huge job of pulling the head. I have done this job this way on many, many engines and have never had any problems.
   Your choice, pull the head or just take a few minutes and use this method.