Author Topic: Backlash  (Read 4132 times)

auret

Backlash
« on: October 15, 2008, 17:06:03 »
Could someone please explain what backlash is and how it is measured?

George Des

Re: Backlash
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 17:35:27 »
Auret,

I guess the best way to describe this is the amount of play or "slop" between the pinion shaft gear and the differential ring gear. It needs to be set properly for the gears to mesh as intended. That being said, I'm trying to figure out how to properly measure it and adjust on the type axle we have on the 113's. I think I understand how to do this on a differential that has bearing caps and adjusters and a back plate that allows access to an assembled rear, but the 113 axle pumpkin differs from these set ups in a number of regards. Wtch my posts to see how some of the experts suggest doing this. One of the great things about this site is that you can always find someone who is working/worked on the same issues.

Geogre Des

JimVillers

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Virginia Beach
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 13:52:58 »
George .... I couldn't find a picture but you can adjust the backlash by moving the ring gear in or out a very little bit.  It is done by unlocking and adjusting the carrier bearings with special pin wrenches.  When doing this, you need to put imprint paste on the gears to show the contact patch.  This requires assembling and taking case apart to view the pattern.
Jim Villers
190SL, 230SL 5-Speed, MGB 5-Speed, MGB GT V8 RHD (real MG), 2016 SLK

George Des

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 14:36:32 »
Jim,

Is the 190SL setup the same as the 230SL? Reason I ask is that the only thing I can see on my axle to adjust other than the left axle shim is that threaded slotted ring on the right side of the pumpkin housing--the joint side. I can see where screwing this in would move the right carrier bearing cup further in towards the ring gear and perhaps put some pre-load on it.

George Des