Author Topic: Pagoda Style: The Book (Update/Intro)  (Read 12627 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Pagoda Style: The Book (Update/Intro)
« on: October 20, 2008, 09:22:38 »
Hello Friends,

For those “newcomers” to the group, or for those that simply missed the posts on the subject, here is an update and or introduction, simplified.

I decided to design and publish a collaborative book on our W113’s in the “coffee table” style.  Many of our fellow members here chose to participate.  Participation means agreeing to fund a share of the book, up to my estimate of USD $190, and agreeing to send in a set of photos to use in my design process.  The book is not being done for profit; it is being done as a labor of love for us.

The book’s title is Pagoda Style with the subheading Our Cars – Our Photographs – Our Stories.  Thanks to our Canadian friend George Henne for the main title suggestion.  Note, Pagoda Love was only a working title. :)

I have received photo sets from the following members and participants, not in any particular order:

Gary Miles, Bob Possel, John Mancini, John Lewenauer, Mike Hund, James Lester, John Bernardi, Bob Geco, Mike Hughes, David Brough, Bob Smith, Martijn Sjerps, Andrew Todd, Paul Raeside, Dirk Kemper, Ray Bragg, Peter VanEs, Peter Menger, Bob Goodman, Craig Devine, Walter Klatt, Garry Marks, William Childers, Jackson Schwartz, Frank Cozza, Gus Monahu, Kemal Shah, Mike Webster

I have received notes from the following people that their photo sets are forthcoming: Eryck Su, Bill Simaz, Fernando Castenheira, Vince Mulvey, Ken Gear, Heidi Stern, Mike Lara, Rob Hyatt, Rob Walker, George Henne, Denny DiNio, Cees Klumper (though Cees sent in many photos with Peter VanEs)

After initial contact, I have not heard from the following people: Rodd Masteller, Jonathan Taylor, William Moore, Baron Youngman, Mark Parkins, Thor Haatveit, Ron Burg, Kevin Caputo, Joe Alexander, Waqas Akram. Forrest Jordan.

If I have left anyone out here, let me know immediately!  I'm trying very hard to stay organized.  Note that at present I have nearly 1,000 photographs occupying over 15GB on a dedicated hard drive.

To those of you newcomers or otherwise, who would like to participate at this point, you can do so.  For those of you who would like to buy the book (must be pre-sell only) but can’t participate, contact me by leaving a note here or contacting me off line.  There is no "old boy's club" or any kind of exclusionary clique here.  Everybody is welcome to participate or buy a book.  I've only met but a small number of participants at "Pagoda University" in Blacklick over the years.

Particulars: if we have the number of participants originally slated—50+, and we sell additional books, it is likely we can do the book in a short-run, offset method.  This yields the highest quality.  If we have less participation, we will print the book in digital format.  In a nutshell, the typical book you have in your library, or on your coffee table, is offset.  Digital books use a different process similar to color Xerox and are best suited to very short runs.  If we print the book in offset, the book will measure about 10” x 12” landscape format.  If done in digital form, it will measure about 10” x 13”.  One advantage to offset production is that the unit cost for each book is less; thus each participant would get TWO copies.  There is a higher initial cost however, which is why I’m looking to bolster our participation rate as well as perhaps sell some in advance.  Digital production does not share the same economies of scale as offset.

The design process, which not only includes the artistic layout and photographic manipulation required, also requires designing and producing digital pages specific to the format and production process.  Thus, I can’t really begin page production until everything is in and I know the number of participants, can nail down the production method and begin to collect.  It is going to be a lot of work and I don't want to do it twice.  I appreciate all the encouragement and thanks that people are sending my way.  I also in return appreciate the wonderful efforts that people have gone through to take great photos.  I guess it's like taking a photo of a supermodel.  There's really not any bad photos... ;)

After a lot of trial and error and many phone calls and emails and samples going back and forth over the past few months, I have lined up printers for both methods.  If we produce the book in offset, it is a well-known short run publisher out of Manitoba, Canada, that specializes in book production.  If digital, it is a publisher out of Anaheim, California that specializes in very low run digital memory books.  I think anyone and everyone who loves to look at these cars will be pleased with this book regardless of print method.  I have seen samples from both methods and publishers and both are great.  Both are hardcover, large format books printed on 100 pound, high quality paper.

The photos are looking quite spectacular.  I have a mix of some new and old; restored and not; cars in process and finished in a variety of different settings.  Everyone has a story to tell as well, and the stories complement the photos as well.  What kind of photos can you expect?  Well, here's just a random sample of 10:

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 14:41:36 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid
2024 Ford Mustang Mach Ex PEV

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: Pagoda Style: The Book (Update/Intro)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 10:30:51 »
If that's a random 10....

HURRY UP!! I want to see the rest of the pictures!!!

Thanks for the update
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 10:46:58 »
The first photo would be a great book cover picture.  I'd digitally black out the dark areas around the grille star though.
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 11:22:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by thelews

The first photo would be a great book cover picture.  I'd digitally black out the dark areas around the grille star though.

...taken under advisement.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 11:25:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tosh

If that's a random 10....

HURRY UP!! I want to see the rest of the pictures!!!

Thanks for the update

...not precisely random, but there's plenty more, and many even better; don't want to give it all away you know.  Everyone's shots are great.  Some photos need some work but what is presented here is "as presented to me".  Yes, your fellow W113 owners have a good eye.  After all they all own W113's! ;)
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 11:55:07 »
Michael,

Sent you a PM. Let me know if you don't receive it.

Thanks!
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Douglas

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 12:10:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by thelews

Didn't Olson use that shot for the cover of one of his SL Market Letter books? Does anyone else remember that?

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 13:39:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by Douglas

Didn't Olson use that shot for the cover of one of his SL Market Letter books? Does anyone else remember that?

Douglas,

In a word, no.  First, the photo shown that you are referring to (suggested by thelews to use as a cover shot) was taken on April 14, 2007, long after publication of Olson's book; it's the only book he is selling on his website.  The photo was taken by one of our British friends.  Also, to the best of my recollection I've only seen one book by John Olson and here's that cover (it's a composite).

That [potential cover shot] photo however, is a classic view, and some similar shots may have appeared in other publications or books over the years.  But not this shot and not on the Olson book.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Douglas

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 16:06:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by mdsalemi

In a word, no . . . I've only seen one book by John Olson . . .

That's the later version of Olson's book; the earlier one shows the shot I'm referring to. It has a red cover and is soft-bound. Anyone have it out there?

(And for the record, I'm not saying it's the same photograph. I'm saying it's the same composition.)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 21:00:09 by Douglas »

MichaelB.

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 18:38:31 »
I would luv to be part of this. Where would one direct the photos if allowed to participate? And when would be the deadline for new submissions?

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 07:08:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by MichaelB.

I would luv to be part of this. Where would one direct the photos if allowed to participate? And when would be the deadline for new submissions?

MichaelB, I've contacted you off line.  When I get a response I'll forward you the information.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

boots96

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 10:10:32 »
Great idea, Michael.  While I don't have any photos to share, I would like to have a copy of the finished product.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 11:56:30 by boots96 »

Gerhard

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 09:39:46 »
Hi Michael,
That is a great idea, a coffeetable book. I am very much interested in a copy of the book.
I will check the photo album this weekend as I think I have some nice photos to add. Let me know where to send these.

Eryck

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 20:09:37 »
After seeing these photographs, I am a bit shy to send in mine since they are not even close to these in terms of quality...

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 01:52:22 »
Ah yes Eryck,

but how many photographs of Pagoda's in the book will have Hong Kong as a backdrop ?

Do send in yours...

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 02:23:08 »
Peter

You mean that is NOT Amsterdam? :D

Eryck

Send them in. The original idea was not for concours only cars - or photos. It's a show of our cars - in all conditions (like outside a small aircraft hanger). Sure, some of the shots above are really great (don't forget paulr is a pro-photographer...) but if you have any more like the photo Peter posted, it would be great to see.

I took a photo of a phonebox! ;)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

paulr

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 02:38:42 »
Eryck, non of mine are posted here and anyway being a "pro" is only because I can't do anything else and is not indication of talent. I think ALL photos have an artistic value and it's about the cars not the pictures !

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 05:05:54 by paulr »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 06:16:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by Eryck

After seeing these photographs, I am a bit shy to send in mine since they are not even close to these in terms of quality...

Eryck,

Peter VanEs, due to either his "burning the midnight oil" or the time-zone difference, beat me to the punch here.  That photo of your car(s) with HK as the backdrop is fabulous, and don't let anybody or your own modesty dictate otherwise.

To paraphrase an oft-repeated mantra from the USA, this is a book "by the people, for the people"; it isn't by professionals (though we do have a few pro photographers amongst us)and isn't being done to garner accolades from the motoring press.  For us, by us.  You are one of us.

If the photo of your car in HK is in any way indicative of what you can do--even if that is your "best shot", I, like Peter, am really anxious for your submissions!

I don't want to give it all away, but there will be photos of rusty cars; cars in parts and pieces, cars in famous locales, cars in fields, on streets, in front of houses.  Your submissions will only ADD to this wonderful diversity we will have.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 06:17:19 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 09:52:45 »
Actually I took that photograph when I visited Eryck in Hong Kong this summer... and I'll gladly send Michael or Eryck the 8Mbyte file for inclusion.

I know Eryck has good camera gear too and should be able to take great photos... here are some ideas:

• more from the peak
  • Hong Kong skyline by night  
  • in front of the floating restaurant in Aberdeen
  • with the HKSB Bank building as a backdrop
  • at the Verandah restaurant
  • if you are really gutsy, stuck in the pedestrian traffic crossing at Sogo, Causeway Bay (enlist the help of the local police though when you try that)
  • anywhere with an old tram as background

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Longtooth

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 18:08:36 »
The Hot Air Balloon / W113 shot get's my vote for composition.... great shot. ... I especially like the treatment of the pagoda only showing approx. front half of car. What a shot!  

I should also say the picket fence shot with blue hues (car, sky) in contrast with the stark white picket fence extent is another one of those shots that illustrate a composer's eye. Beautiful shots.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 18:12:35 by Longtooth »

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 20:26:19 »
Thank you for the brief attribution to me of the "Pagoda Style" title suggestion!  I have been searching through message archives wracking my brains for a week trying to figure out when I could have made the suggestion and now see that it was George Henne instead.  Good idea, George!
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)