Author Topic: 4-speed Measurements needed  (Read 3922 times)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
4-speed Measurements needed
« on: November 13, 2008, 03:58:39 »
Does anyone have a G72 four-speed transmission out where you can measure it?  I need a precise measurement from the front tip of the input shaft to the flat face of the gearbox.  I also need the dimension from the front of the gearbox to the center of the shifter.  And, the number of splines on the input shaft. I'm researching an alternative to the Getrag 265 for a five-speed swap.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: 4-speed Measurements needed
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 02:44:54 »
 Ray,
Spline should not matter as you can use whatever clutch disc comes with the transmission so disc diameter and thickness will be the issue. 

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, Jacksonville
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 03:33:14 »
Perhaps I mistake your response.  Transmissions don't come with a disc.  I can order a disc with the proper thickness, outside diameter, surface width, springs, center hole diameter and spline specs. 

This would be easier if I had a 4-speed to play with on the bench.  Anybody got a cheap broken one they need to unload?
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 02:29:30 »
Raymond,
What I meant was if you could find a disc that was proper for the transmission and of a suitable diameter that is all that matters. It might be easier than trying to find a transmission to mate to the original Mercedes clutch disc.