Author Topic: 1969 280sl burning rich, Recommend a Shop in AZ?  (Read 4823 times)

John Eldorado

1969 280sl burning rich, Recommend a Shop in AZ?
« on: December 15, 2008, 17:54:20 »
I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong forum, but I have a 1969 280sl that's a family heirloom, and the car runs extremely rich.  The thing will clear out a parking lot! 

I know how to work on older, simpler American cars, but I'm scared to get a wrench near this thing.  The car has been mechanically "restored" several years ago, but I'm still having issues with it.  I did some research, and from what I understand, it could possibly be the injector pump that needs to be rebuilt?

Very few people really know how to work on these cars.  Is there a list, or can anyone refer me to a good mechanic in the Phoenix-Scottsdale, AZ area that would know how to work on this car? 

Thanks so much for the help.

hauser

Re: 1969 280sl burning rich, Recommend a Shop in AZ?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 20:16:25 »
Hello John

Here are a couple places that may be of help.  Both are members here.

http://europeanservicetucson.com/

http://www.ranchomerced.com/

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
Re: 1969 280sl burning rich, Recommend a Shop in AZ?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 07:25:53 »
Hey John,
This site is exactly what you need.

Before thinking about rebuilding the FIP there are many tests that the home mechanic can carry out to identify then eliminate other possible causes of rich running.

Have a look at the Linkage Tour at the beginning of this area of the forum. There is so much information about your problem that a search will produce answers to most of your questions.

Please ask anyway.

The Cold Start Valve on the inlet manifold could be leaking. MB specs say that more than 3 drops per minute and the CSV needs to be sorted. They can be rebuilt or replaced BIG $$$$$

The spark plug colour or exhaust  colour is a good indicator of the condition of the ignition system.

The MB Service manual, which is called the BBB (Big Blue Book for obvious reasons) in some discussions, is full of relevant information.
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best