Author Topic: Soft-top Window  (Read 7738 times)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Soft-top Window
« on: December 19, 2008, 17:25:59 »
Well, this is more a testimonial than anything else. I am currently grounded due to the white stuff so I decided to find things to do in the garage... Much to my chagrin, I noticed some teeny swirly scratches on my rear s/t window. This kills me because the top is only 8 months old and I treat it like a faberge egg. Anyway, I happened to have some Meguier's plastic cleaner (17) and polish (10) that I had tried on the old top. The results on that one were never great because it was too far gone. However, this time they worked perfectly -- brought the window back to near perfect. I was relieved and happy. So if anyone has the mini scratches, I recommend Meguier's.
James
63 230SL

jaxxonia

• Regular
  • USA, CA, Woodland Hills
  • pagodaride@gmail.com
Re: Soft-top Window
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 23:05:18 »
Happy Holidays Mike,
Just a thought..........are you using the old folded towel trick covering the window when the soft-top is in its stored position?  It has seemed to help somewhat.  Glad to hear the Meguier's product works.

Jackson

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 17:24:17 »
My storage ritual...

1. Pop rear latch and front handles.

2. As I lift and fold up the rear section, I insert a felt-covered noodle and a separate large piece of felt on the inner-folded section (this would be the exterior of window when its upright). This is where the folded towel would go? I also have a longer felt peice that drapes over the chrome strip that early cars. (this piece hits the plastic otherwise). The noodle is to prevent a crease. I also lined the top-case with this felt leaving enough to drape out of the case as the top goes in -- which protects the "interior plastic" as it folds in. This felt will be wrapped around the folded top when its in. I then lift top case lid up.

3. I then extend my soon-to-be patented Pagoda Flaps (which are heavy baggie-like plastic pieces taped into each side of the well). These allow the top to smush into the case without ripping up the canvas on the way in or the way out. The top is then folded and lowered into place. The felt piece pulled over center and Pagoda flaps folded in. Top handles turned in. Close the lid.

It sounds complicated but takes all of 2 minutes or so. I am thinking the scratches may have come for an indavertant wipe with a towel?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 10:27:43 by vanesp »
James
63 230SL

hauser

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 18:35:26 »
James,  sounds like you have quite a bit to store into the compartment.  My top frame was completely restored by Gernold along with a new GAHH canvas top.  I found it a bit difficult to store the new top in its compartment.  It was a very tight fit.  I'm not sure if it would handle anything else such as the noodle.  Do you have to struggle to close the lid?

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 19:06:36 »
Hey Hauser. Mine is a GAHH as well. I don't think the noodle takes up that much space as it is in the little bended window cavity. And the felt doesn't require much. I should clarify, it is not an actual pool noodle but one of those foam copper pipe insulation guys (3/4" I think). 

But to answer your question: yes things are quite tight in there -- I do a bit of two-palmed CPR to lock it down. Certainly nothing like that MBZ video where he just flings it shut...
James
63 230SL

jaxxonia

• Regular
  • USA, CA, Woodland Hills
  • pagodaride@gmail.com
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 20:04:42 »
Hello James,

Sorry for the incorrect name in the earlier post.  And that is where my folded towel goes, by the way.
I am interested in knowing more about your "soon to be patented Pagoda Flaps".  Most every soft top I have seen on our cars suffers from material abrasion in certain areas of the soft top due to the tight fit.
If you have a solution, I think there would be considerable interest.  When will you go public?

Jackson

hauser

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 20:14:27 »
James these flaps that you're working on, are they like the mechatronic flaps?  I just use plastic cut from antifreeze jugs.  They work okay but are hard to keep in place.  The flaps would be great!  The only materials I have found similar to the Mech car are those used for commercial walk in coolers.  These flaps hang vertically to keep cold air from escaping.  Keep us posted!

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 20:24:17 »
My storage ritual...
Hi James.
 ??? How about garnishing the ritual with a few pictures?  :)
Thanks!
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 21:41:37 »
Well, let me work on taking some photos of the ritual.

As for my flaps -- there may be a thread about them here somewhere, I'll have to look. But they are more or less a heavy plastic, not as thick as the walk-in cooler variety. That might be too thick. I cut rectangles from a bag that a fold up chair came in. "Bed in a bag" or comforter bags might be good as well. Just something a little on the thicker side. They are then taped neatly inside the sides of the case -- so they can be draped over the fender as the top goes in, then draped back over the top when it is closed up. Fairly unnoticeable since the flaps are clear. I know they are serving a purpose though, because they do get kind of mangled during the process. That's the friction that would otherwise be your top!

Whether my version is like Mechatronics, I can't say (patent lawyer told me not to...just kidding, I have'nt seen it).
James
63 230SL

hauser

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 22:37:23 »
Very similar indeed!  I also wanted to do something similar but the proper materials have yet to be found.  I agree that the cooler flaps would be a bit on the thick side.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 23:34:57 »
Here is a composite attempt at the ritual...

And I call the last one "now what?"  :D
(Mike S. should be pleased to see my "other" car...)
James
63 230SL

Witt

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 02:22:06 »
Hi James,

Great pictures, my method of folding the top away is very similar to yours !  In addition to your procedure I also protect the part of the canvas that rubs against the hinges of the s/t cover with a couple of sheets of plastic similar to your left and right flaps. I did copy that part do I owe you any royalties ?

It is also important to observe that the INSIDE of the rear plastic window does rub against the inside, forward part of the s/t storage box when lowering it and while stored. Mercedes installed a felt strip in this area for protection, but this will not do and is probably worn on many Pagodas.
I see however that you got that part covered, literally. I taped a soft towel the entire length of the inside of the box letting part of it hang over to the inside of the car. When lowering the top, after taking all the previous precautions, the plastic window will slide along that soft towel and I wrap the "hanging - over -part" of the towel over the folded plastic window for protection.

I also remove the front hold down pins to gain more space and less tension....but that is another story....

CHEERS !
WITT !